Hi guys... Old Atarian here

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

Joang

Hi guys... Old Atarian here

Post by Joang » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:19 am

I am an old Atarian from way back in the late 70's and early 80's. I did some software development for the 8-bit back then as well. In my attic I have a boatload of 8-bit Atari computers, software, drives, and other peripherals that I want to unload that's been in my attic for years. Of course I plan to keep a base system for my own enjoyment but I really need to get rid of the excess to free up some space in the attic.

Now my question for you people is this. Being that this stuff has a whole lot of sentimental value I would prefer that this stuff go to someone in the Atari community that will appreciate it but on the other hand I want to make close to what its worth. What is the best method to get rif of this stuff? Ebay, atari forums, something else?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:47 am

Hi there, and welcome! :)

The best way I think, is to make a list of what you've got, and preferably some pictures, and put them on display. Depending on what you have, some things may be better off here, some things could be better of at eBay.

The big question I guess is, do you have any original boxed games? Those would be the top priority, that's where the money is. :) Personally I'd love to hear about anything from SSI or Rapidfire..

If you do make a list, make sure you note title and publisher, and try to explain conditions and box contents - that helps a lot, and it is important.

Good luck!
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:44 am

Yeah, what he said.

At Atarimania, we are trying to archive allof the software for these machines, and we'd be particularly interested in anything that's not in the database, or any titles for which we don't have scans, dumps or complete info.

In terms of value, complete, boxed games tend to fetch the most. If you can make a detailed inventory of what you have, as Osgorth suggests, it will be easier to comment.

Welcome!
Joang

Post by Joang » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:28 pm

Just for starters this is some of the Atari stuff I have:
  • Several 8-bit computers including all models except the 400. The 800 and 130xe are my favorites. One 800 computer is still in the original box as it was shipped from sunnyvale. I'm going to keep that one.
    Several disk drives including 3 Indus GT disk drives. I also have the 810 recorder as well as some game cassettes for it.
    850 IFs and APE IFs.
    Some plotters, printers and such
    Several modems (various brands)
    Massive amounts of game, utility and application disks (most of it pirated). Lots of it original though.
    Massive amounts of zeroxed documentation for games I do and do not have.
    I have just about every programming book ever made for the Atari. I also have the original Atari Basic Reference Manual in excellent condition.
    I have boxes upon boxes of Antic and Analog magazines along with their collection of monthly disks.
That's just what I can think of without physically going through the attic. Its pretty cluttered (and hot) in there so I'm not real eager to go in there right now. :) I'm sure there are lots more that I haven't listed. Joysticks galore, power packs, other accessories and such.

I'll try and make a complete inventory and post it soon.

If I do decide to list these things on ebay I'm thinking of offering the winner a sizable discount of some type if they can prove they are a member of the Atari community somehow and not some dealer/scalper trying to make money on the Atri community. As I said I'd like to find a good home for this stuff in the Atari community.

Thanks for the feedback guys.... (and gals if present).
avram

Post by avram » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:14 am

What kind of software development did you do?
Joang

Post by Joang » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:38 am

avram wrote:What kind of software development did you do?
Some game programming for third part outfits and utility programs (disk utility) were what I worked on the most.
jerrykurtz

Post by jerrykurtz » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:09 pm

I would recommend that you find a way to transfer your disk images to a file on the PC so that you can have them forever.

I gave away all of the stuff I used to own way back when and have regretted it ever since.

I've bought just about all of those game titles back, but I'll never get the stuff back that I wrote -- which is what means more to me than any game...
Joang

Post by Joang » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly holding on to my core system and I do plan on transferring my disks to the PC (once I find out exactly how to do that). I have well over a 1000 disks with games, apps, and utilities crammed on both sides of them so it might take a good while.

I know what you mean about losing your own code. I still have all my code safe and secure... :)
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:49 pm

Joang wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly holding on to my core system and I do plan on transferring my disks to the PC (once I find out exactly how to do that). I have well over a 1000 disks with games, apps, and utilities crammed on both sides of them so it might take a good while.

I know what you mean about losing your own code. I still have all my code safe and secure... :)
To transfer your stuff to PC, you'll need a SIO2PC adapter. Atarimax.com sells well-made SIO2PC gear, and also does software to make the job easier.
Joang

Post by Joang » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:38 am

Ok fellas... I have the adapter. What is the nicest easiest to use software to use with this thing?

Thanks
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:06 am

APE from Atarimax is pretty good. It has a free version, too.
zektor

Post by zektor » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:17 am

And, APE is most definitely worth the register as well. I am actually quite new to the Atari 8-bit (old Commodore head here) and actually purchased the adapter and registered the software BEFORE I had any actual Atari hardware :) I did of course do my research, so I had a good grasp of what I was getting into. The software works flawlessly, for playback and backups. One of the best investments I have made this year...and in the name of Atari retrogaming as a whole.