Activisions/Electric Dreams non Atari game 'Dandy'

On the subject of A8 prototypes, betas, unreleased games and general insider info.

Moderator: Atari Frog

carmel_andrews

Activisions/Electric Dreams non Atari game 'Dandy'

Post by carmel_andrews » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:12 pm

I remember reading in an old issue of C&VG (computer and videogames) that Activision via Electri Dreams purchased the rights from the old Atari (warners) of the APX game 'Dandy Dungeons', which was eventually released on the non Atari systems as 'Dandy'

There is an issue here, according to some book on US software companies i read in Foyles (used to be the world's largest bookstore), it had an entry for Atarisoft/APX

According to the entry for APX, it mentioned that atari did not have any rights other than distribution or sales/marketing for any software released on the APX banner, which means that John Palevich (programmer behind Dandy Dungeons) still owned the rights to his software

So I can't for the life of me figure out how Activion/electric dreams can buy the rights to a game from a company that didn't even own the rights in the first place

Just to 'muddy the waters' a bit, according to Antic Magazine, sometime in 1984, Atari sold the rights to APX software to the publishers of Antric Magazine and also the rights to re distribute/publish existing APX back catalog as well as upcoming/new titles

Can anyone clear this one up for me
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:44 pm

No idea what really happened with the European release of Dandy, there may be some things we're completely unaware of...

Did Antic actually buy the rights to the APX back catalog (or parts of it) from Atari or did they agree with the authors? This I don't know...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com