Boxed Astro Chase cartridge by First Star Software?

On the subject of A8 prototypes, betas, unreleased games and general insider info.

Moderator: Atari Frog

Atari Frog

Boxed Astro Chase cartridge by First Star Software?

Post by Atari Frog » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:17 pm

Hi,

Have a look at this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8199110197

Not that I question the authenticity of the items but, AFAIK, Astro Chase by First Star Software was only released on cartridge for use with the special Exidy arcade machines with 600XL computers inside. The packaging and instructions were completely different from the home version.

In short, I believe the seller is eBaying an ultra-rare loose Astro Chase cart with just a normal box meant for the disk and tape versions to pump up the final price. OK, the silver version of the box is rarer but I don't feel this is a very honest auction...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
jetset

Post by jetset » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:03 am

Is it that rare as to fetch $300 complete anyway?

Besides...
This is an EXCELLENT game
He's obviously not very honest! :mr.green:
ijor

Post by ijor » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:25 am

Well, not too difficult to find out. Just ask the seller to post scans of pages 2 and 3 of the manual ...

I checked my unboxed disk copy ... the manual is exactly the same as the pictured one ... let's see, loading instructions, tape, disk ... hmm, no mention of a cart version :)
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:49 am

jetset wrote:Is it that rare as to fetch $300 complete anyway?
Read what I wrote again... It doesn't seem to exist complete in the first place... Astro Chase by First Star Software was only released on cartridge for use with the Exidy coin-op and the packaging was different.

Unless there is a mention of a cartridge version on the box (red, round sticker) or in the manual, the seller is clearly cheating and claiming this is an original complete item to inflate the price.

--
Atari Frog
Andre

Post by Andre » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:54 am

Atari Frog wrote: Unless there is a mention of a cartridge version on the box (red, round sticker) or in the manual, the seller is clearly cheating and claiming this is an original complete item to inflate the price.
I remember an online auction where the Exidy system (based on 600XL) was offered along with Astro Chase on cart. Soon after this auction had ended a seller from Israel was offering a boxed Astro Chase cart from First Star. The red round sticker was removed from the box, of course...
André
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:03 am

A final note to potential bidders...

While the cartridge is genuine and the box is real, the combo does not exist as such! This version of the cartridge was never sold to the home public, meaning the medium and box don't match.

Either you get an Astro Chase cartridge from First Star Software with specific arcade packaging meant for the Exidy coin-op (different manual, flyers...) OR you get the silver box with a tape / disk (but certainly not a cartridge as the only official home version of the game is from Parker Brothers). Note that the manual doesn't even mention a cartridge release.

--
Atari Frog
Andre

Post by Andre » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 am

Another Astro Chase cart popped up lately:

Check this auction.
André
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:50 pm

Thanks for the reminder - another one bites the dust :evil:
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:46 pm

..there's a black box too, isn't it? for the tape/disk version I mean.. Is that a later release, somebody know?
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:33 am

osgorth wrote:..there's a black box too, isn't it? for the tape/disk version I mean.. Is that a later release, somebody know?
Yes, the cassette and disk versions had both silver and black boxes. I'm afraid that the chronology is still a little uncertain. The consumer First Star games had stickers on the boxes to indicate the media format. The stickers are not always present when these games are sold nowadays (for whatever reason...).

However, the First Star cartridge version was only available as part of the Max-a-Flex arcade system, as far as I know.
Andre

Post by Andre » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:11 am

deathtrappomegranate wrote: However, the First Star cartridge version was only available as part of the Max-a-Flex arcade system, as far as I know.
Although there popped up a cartridge recently (now in Arnaud's possession) that seems to have a regular First Star silver label.
André
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:38 am

Andre wrote:Although there popped up a cartridge recently (now in Arnaud's possession) that seems to have a regular First Star silver label.
IIRC there was a Boulder Dash in that lot as well.

The Boulder Dash, Bristles and Flip and Flop carts that went with the Max-a-Flex were the same as the retail carts, so it makes sense that the Astro Chase would have a matching label.
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:39 am

Ah yes, I should've looked in the gallery first of course.. I haven't seen that black box before, is that rarer or have I just missed it? I've seen the silver box a couple of times, pretty expensive mostly.
Andre

Post by Andre » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:50 am

osgorth wrote: I haven't seen that black box before, is that rarer or have I just missed it?
In my opinion the black box isn't that rare - some years ago a guy sold a whole lot of this particular game.
I've seen the silver box a couple of times, pretty expensive mostly.
The silver box release is pretty rare, I think.
André