Alternate Reality

Moderators: Atari Frog, Stefan_L, Champions_2002, advfan, marakatti

triverse

Alternate Reality

Post by triverse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Anyone play this game? I am currently addicted to it (mapping out the remainder of the 1st level and about half way through the second) and let me tell you, it is unforgivingly tough (seemingly harder to me than Wizardry).
Anyone know of any other single character 1st person RPG's similar to AR?
Looking for old out of print video game magazines to preserve at http://www.outofprintarchive.com
marakatti

Post by marakatti » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:25 pm

It is a very legendary game and using some sort of texturemapped walls in 1986 is just amazing. Haven't played it much myself but I really appreciate what the programmers and designers have achieved.

For the other 1st person single character RPG games, Legends of Valour and Obitus comes to mind first altough their worlds are a bit different.
---
Marko
triverse

Post by triverse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:56 pm

What is so strange about AR is that the programmers of the Dungeon had a working engine that could perform like Doom but it was scrapped because the publisher (forget which company it was at the time, there were so many involved) felt that gamers weren't interested in seeing the enemy for one nor would the play be able to comprehend any movement other than one full square and 90 degree turns. Imagine if they would have been able to go ahead with it as planned, maybe we would be singing the praises of Alternate Reality: Revelation by now.
I have played Obitus on SNES, really need to try the computer versions that aren't aflicted with Nintendo censorship.
Never played Legends of Valour, have read reviews of it in VG&CE and on websites but never got around to playing it (whenever the RPG bug hits me, I end up with AR in the end).
Looking for old out of print video game magazines to preserve at http://www.outofprintarchive.com