missing rarity tag?

General chat.

Moderators: Rom Hunter, Atari Frog

chrislynn5

missing rarity tag?

Post by chrislynn5 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Every game I look up has no rarity rating? I typically search 8bit but I also have a 2600. I have some games that I'd like to know there rarity. Thanx.
Rom Hunter

Re: missing rarity tag?

Post by Rom Hunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:50 am

Chrislynn,

It will literally take a hundred years fulltime job to give each single VCS game its proper rarity.

A game's rarity is depending on format, popularity, region, production numbers, condition, knowledge and finds, therefore constantly fluctuating and thus impossible to catch.

IMO it's a complete waste of time to put any energy in determining proper rarities for VCS games.

Believe me: exept for Atariboxed.com, all known to exist VCS Rarity lists on the net are outdated and in most cases quite unreliable.

They give you a rough estimation of a certain game's rarity, but that's all.

I marked all released VCS carts of which 3 or less are known to exist with a Holy Grail symbol:
http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.aw ... 0&step=200

It took me almost two years to create this list and we're talking about 106 out of almost 10,000 titles here.

Each time a fourth cart of a certain Holy Grail title is found, that title will be deleted from the list.

Eventually, we will have a small list of true Holy Grails, which IMO forms the quintessence of the true VCS Rarity Guide:

Holy Grails: Virtually impossible to get.
All others: Possible to get.

8)