Starball

Moderators: Atari Frog, Stefan_L, Champions_2002, advfan, marakatti

Dio

Starball

Post by Dio » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Noticed you didn't have a dump or image for Starball. Here you go:

The disk (as originally released on Usenet, BBS and via ST Format coverdisk in 1994).

Cheers
Dave
marakatti

Re: Starball

Post by marakatti » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Big thanks for the dump. Always nice to have stuff from original authors.
Your game is definitely one of the best on ST ever and will live forever. I remember when I got it on ST Format coverdisk, it really knocked us down to the floor! We were playing it for years after the release with my brother.

Just an awesome piece of code, art, sound and playability!

I wish a modern version of it could some day appear to X360 or PS3 store :)
---
Marko
Dio

Post by Dio » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks for the compliments - I'm bowled over that it's sufficiently well thought of to make the top 25 list here. We're sharing a page with an awful lot of very illustrious company there!

I did actually port the PC version up to run on modern Windows / DirectX a few months back. Looks very nice run with an 800-pixel-high window on a portrait monitor :) . If I ever get round to building a proper website that will probably go up for download there. But I've been saying that for years now and work (or some new coding project) always seems to get in the way. Next year. Definitely. Maybe...

(edit) Hmmm, was that only version 1.10? I may have supplied the wrong one :) .

(second edit) What a complicated mess :) . Not absolutely certain what version that is, it may be 1.61 but with the 1.10 loader. It certainly doesn't have the STE / TT / Falcon sampled sound. But it could be 1.10, 1.11 or 1.15 too. I'll put together two repaired disks tonight with the official 1.61 patch and 1.61 with the samples (I fear that if the latter is used on a standard ST it crashes, from reading my 15-year-old documentation...)

(third edit) Crikey, I don't make this easy for myself. Looks like I'll have to dig the Falcon out (and hope the HD still works) as it looks like I haven't properly backed up some of the working directory - no sign of the final version of the README file, for example...
marakatti

Post by marakatti » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks and all the best for finding everything! I also have couple of 1.61 dumps but no samples :(

Windows port of Starball :shock: I really hope it will be available someday, pretty please 8) Now I have something more to wait besides GT5 ;)
---
Marko
Dio

Post by Dio » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:44 pm

The Falcon has been dug out and I've scared myself with just how much stuff there was on there that wasn't backed up :shock: . It all is now. Hopefully should have new images before the weekend.
marakatti

Post by marakatti » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:49 am

Excellent news :)
---
Marko
ChrisTOS

Post by ChrisTOS » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Starball is probably my favourite freeware/shareware ST game (together with Llamatron but I like starball a bit better). We played it some time ago for the ST offline tournament (that I almost won) and it was great fun. You've wrote an amazing and original game that I've had a lot of fun playing on my falcon.