503 - Service Temporarily Unavailable

Info regarding big updates on the site.

Moderator: Atari Frog

Xebec's Demise

503 - Service Temporarily Unavailable

Post by Xebec's Demise » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:22 am

Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Hi, I have been visiting your site for a few months now and I have seen the above message several times per visit. There does not seem to be any pattern to the message. I have received it when trying to click forum links, game image links, and even ROM downloads.

If I keep clicking refresh, it will usually load after a while.

I do not experience this on any other websites that I visit.

Just a heads up.
jetset

Post by jetset » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:24 pm

I've had that happen quite a bit. Mostly when doing advanced searches in the A8 database. I thought it was just me... :?
atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:16 pm

I never had this error :roll: _
ijor

Post by ijor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:14 pm

Lately I am getting the same error too. After retrying a couple of times I can usually get through.
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:06 pm

In the early days of Atarimania, I had this problem too. A few people posted about it on AA as well. Recently, although it still happens sometimes, it's less of a problem.

I suspect it's due to the webhost's maintenance time. Fortunately, Atarimania hasn't been hit by any of the phpBB hackbots out there, and that's likely to be because of the host's vigilance (and good admin :wink: ).

This site is hosted in Europe, and that probably means that maintenance occurs at times that are sometimes inconvenient for non-European users, in the same way that ebay.com has downtime at bad moments for us.

However, it is definitely improving.

It is good to hear about problems that happen with the site, because that will help us to improve it.
atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 am

deathtrappomegranate wrote: This site is hosted in Europe, and that probably means that maintenance occurs at times that are sometimes inconvenient for non-European users, in the same way that ebay.com has downtime at bad moments for us.
I think you're right.
ijor

Post by ijor » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:27 pm

I'm not sure it's a maintenance issue. All the times it happened to me, I just needed to ckick once (or twice) again and didn't get the error message any longer.

So it can't be a maintenance time issue; unless maintenance can lock the pages for a few seconds, unlock them for another seconds, and lock them back again.

The error messages sais it could be maintenance, or too much server load. Looks like more of the latter.
Andre

Post by Andre » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:45 pm

ijor wrote: or too much server load. Looks like more of the latter.
It IS too much sever load. Check this (all sites with same IP as atarimania.com):

http://whois.webhosting.info/84.16.80.61

QUITE a lot of .com-sites on a single server.
André
atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:50 pm

We don't have a dedicated server........ yet ... :mr.green:
Xebec's Demise

Post by Xebec's Demise » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:41 am

Yeah, it's not because of maint because it usually happens every time I visit and I vist at different times.

It just happened on my way in here to the forum. I had to refresh 7 times, before the forum finally loaded.

Not too big of a deal for me, but thought you should know. Some people it might annoy.