Rarity forum

Help us to determine the rarity of the titles in the database.

Moderator: Atari Frog

deathtrappomegranate

Rarity forum

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:02 pm

The rarity forum is now open!

Please post your thoughts on the subject, and let's get some discussions going!
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:16 pm

Great idea! :)

How about we create a thread for each publisher, and focus on getting the big ones sorted first?

Secondly, would it be possible to add the R-value on the list of games that pops up when you click a publisher in the database? Right now you have to open up each page to see the rarity value, that's rather tedious.. Pretty please? :)
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm afraid we're a bit limited in what we can do in this area :(

If we cram in more information in the tables, people will have a hard time figuring out what all the symbols mean.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:40 pm

Can you make the table wider then? It's so narrow right now..
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:14 pm

That's pretty much impossible, we'd have to change all the rest as well and that would be a nightmare... Though rarity ratings are important to us, it's really the basics we need to keep for the table.
How about we create a thread for each publisher, and focus on getting the big ones sorted first?
That should be fine. If we concentrate on the big ones first, maybe it would be a good idea to have less than five threads active at the same time.

--
Atari Frog
Andre

Post by Andre » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:38 pm

Atari Frog wrote: That should be fine. If we concentrate on the big ones first, maybe it would be a good idea to have less than five threads active at the same time.
First we should clarify what rarity values from 1-10 actually mean. Should we use a linear scale of the rarities or a non-linear one like Osgorth has proposed ?
André
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:31 pm

I don't think the scale should be changed. Let's keep everything simple and explicit like it is now.

--
Atari Frog
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:50 pm

It would be difficult to implement the type of scale that osgorth suggested, because we have relatively little information about who has what.

There are few A8 collectors who publish lists of what they have at the moment. Trying to tell whether there were 10 or 20 or 30 complete copies of a game would be tricky. We would need to have several of the major collectors contributing to the cause in order to get a good idea of the numbers.

For the moment, I think it's simplest to hear what people think.
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:55 pm

So if we don't know what's out there, what is the basis for the current figures?

It brings us back to the original question I posed: can you explain what 1-10 means, so there is a clear definition of what is a 5, an 8, a 9 and so on?
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:34 pm

osgorth wrote:So if we don't know what's out there, what is the basis for the current figures?
The ratings are not necessarily based on accurate figures. I know this is going to sound awfully pretentious but I'd say research, personal knowledge and experience count a lot more here.
It brings us back to the original question I posed: can you explain what 1-10 means, so there is a clear definition of what is a 5, an 8, a 9 and so on?
This has been answered already but here they are again:
1 = incredibly common
2 = very common
3 = common
4 = not that hard to find
5 = getting scarce...
6 = not readily available
7 = rare
8 = very rare
9 = extremely rare
10 = unbelievably rare

Note that we're clearly open to suggestions on the subject of these definitions. Maybe "rare" is too strong for a rating of "7" for example so feel free to discuss the semantic issue as well.

--
Atari Frog
JamesTheOrangeCat

Post by JamesTheOrangeCat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:29 pm

On the one hand, I see Osgorth's point, that the difference between "rare" and "very rare" is not clear or precise. On the other hand, I see some of the others' point, that trying to identify the number of copies or complete copies is still pretty subjective and we will likely have to rely on experts like Frog, Osgorth, Deathtrap, etc.

My opinion is between both; I agree that it would be nice to (please) ask the experts to use their expert opinion to rate based on a more precise and specific quantitative metric (e.g., the *estimated* original copies in existence), but perhaps if we can essentially agree on one or a few example title for each rating level, that will be good enough.

For example, if we have a familiar example title each for a rarity 6 and a rarity 7, then when it comes to re(rate) a new title that is either a 6 or a 7, we just need to decide if it is closer to being a 6 or a 7 based on which example title it is closer to in rarity. The expert raters won't have to explicitly think in terms of the # of copies (or whatever metric is being implicitly used) if the experts are not comfortable doing so, but if the example titles are common/familiar enough, it should be possible for readers to xref to their own estimate of the number of titles in existence using the baseline examples.

It's just an idea, and as much as I like to be precise and systematic about things (I suspect like Osgorth), I'd also hate for us to be overly analytical about this to the point where we take the fun out of it.

Sorry if that was unclear or I have misrepresented anyone's opinion... I very much appreciate the hard work everyone has put into making this site as great as it is - thanks! :D
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:06 am

osgorth wrote:So if we don't know what's out there, what is the basis for the current figures?

Ideally, it would be great to base the rarity scale on known numbers. We know quite a lot about some very rare cartridge games, those that hardly ever appear on ebay or anywhere else, and we try to keep track of how many are known.

Unfortunately, it becomes more difficult to do this when larger numbers are involved.

At this point, I think that the personal experiences of collectors are the best source of information. The rarity of "Queen of Hearts", for example, would only be known to someone who had been looking pretty hard for it for some time.
MR ATARI

rare games

Post by MR ATARI » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:35 pm

hi it says in the games list that mindwheel is 7 and essex is 8 in rarity but how much would they make if they were sold??
deathtrappomegranate

Re: rare games

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:29 pm

MR ATARI wrote:hi it says in the games list that mindwheel is 7 and essex is 8 in rarity but how much would they make if they were sold??
It's very difficult to put monetary figures to these.

The A8 market is very volatile and unpredictable, and the rarity does not predict the price well at all. The demand for particular games is based on a large number of factors, many of which are prone to change very rapidly.

I did sell a shrinkwrapped Essex a little while ago. It didn't get a high price, but it did go to a good home [img::]http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emot ... /smile.gif[/img]
bf2k+

Post by bf2k+ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:48 am

Maybe 10 ratings is too many. Less would make it much easier to differentiate... just my $.02.