Would you host tape images in the "extended" CAS format?

Help us complete the database with missing entries, dumps, ads, scans...

Moderator: Atari Frog

Kr0tki

Would you host tape images in the "extended" CAS format?

Post by Kr0tki » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:10 am

I have imaged a number of Polish tape originals. Most of them employ copy-prevention, which cannot be converted to CAS format originally introduced by Ernest Schreurs with his WAV2CAS utility. To make dumping them possible, the CAS format had to be extended - which is what I did as part of my A8CAS project (see my sig).

The problem is, this extended CAS format is not widely supported - I have created tools for manipulating the files and a currently-unofficial modification of Atari800 that supports them, but no other emulator (including the official Atari800) nor any SIO2PC-type program (with exception of AtariSIO) supports them.

Having this in mind, are you interested in hosting extended CAS images?
Check out A8CAS, a tool to archive Atari tapes
Atari Frog

Re: Would you host tape images in the "extended" CAS format?

Post by Atari Frog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:05 am

Definitely! We akso need to upload some of the tapes with soundtrack.

I downloaded a number of your conversions a few days ago - Microx, Robbo, Monstrum, Rucu, Super Fortuna... - and I'll add them in the future with a mention that they only work with HiassofT's AtariSIO at the moment.

Things seem to be moving on the "cassette front" so, hopefully, full support for everything will exist soon.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 pm

OK then, let me share some additional information regarding the images, and fix some bugs in the database.

(Except where noted, all dumps work only with SIO patch disabled, and all dumps are in the extended CAS format and load only in the Atari800-a8cas emulator and AtariSIO. If an image is not extended CAS, it might work with some more utils, but it still might fail to work in standard Atari800 (also Win) due to emulation bugs.)

The following dumps are from my own tapes:

* Robbo
Dumps: side A, side B
This is a later version than this one. The new version has updated loading routine and manual on the title screen altered to remove references to a prize contest that had ended (and also a different cover). Release date is unknown - the box says 1989 but I suspect it could be later (certainly before 1992). Fix your serial number, it should be AC00189 / AD00189. Other data is correct and applies to both versions of Robbo.

* Misja, Fred
This is a 1991-10 release of Misja/Fred, with added music and other minor changes. Serial: AC00190, AC00290 / AD00190, AD00290 (the package has 2 serial numbers - 00190 is for Misja, 00290 is for Fred).

* Lasermania, Robbo Konstruktor
You have two separate entries - here and here. They should be merged - these two were published only as a set.
Missing info:
- Lasermania - Sound: Daniel Kleczyński, Janusz Pelc;
- Robbo Konstruktor - Genre: Arcade - Construction Kit (maybe "Brain - Construction Kit"?); Language: Machine Language; Controls: joystick or keyboard; Players: 1; Programmer, Granhics, Sound: Janusz Pelc;
- both - Cover Artist: Robert Ożóg; Serial: AC00390, AC00490 / AD00390, AD00490 (00390 is for Lasermania, 00490 is for RK).
There also exists a 1992 re-release with different cover designed by Daniel Kleczyński. I don't know if the tape's/disk's contents are any different though.

* Quick Assembler
Dumps: side A, Side B. These are standard CAS and work with SIO patch.
Genre: Programming - Language; Language: Machine Language; Controls: Keyboard; Players: -; Programmers: Janusz B. Wiśniewski, Mirosław Liminowicz, Maciej Miąsik, Janusz Pelc, Jarosław Syrylak; Cover Artist: Danuta Sienkowska; Year: 1991; Country: Poland; License: Commercial; Medium: tape/disk; Serial: none.

* A.D. 2044 (the title with full stops is used consistently on the cover and in the game catalogue)
Genre: Adventure - Joystick-driven; Language: Compiled Forth; Controls: joystick, also keyboard for entering passwords; Players: 1; Programmer: Roland Pantoła; Graphic Artist: Roland Pantoła; Sound: Leszek Hołda; Cover artist: Danuta Sienkowska; Developer: R.M.P. Software (name appears on the title screen); Serial: AC00691 / AD00691.
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Part 2. Again, the dumps are from my own tapes:

* Panther
Dumps: side A, side B. These are standard CAS and work with SIO patch.
Genre: Word Processing; Language: Machine Language; Controls: Keyboard; Players: -; Programmer: Janusz B. Wiśniewski; Cover Artist: Danuta Sienkowska; Year: 1992; Publisher: LK Avalon; Country: Poland; License: Commercial; Medium: tape/disk; Serial: AC00892 / AD00892.

* Hans Kloss
Dump
Genre: Arcade - Platformer (Multi-Screen); Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Graphic Artists: Sebastian Michna, Dariusz Żołna; Sound: Daniel Kleczyński; Serial: AC00992/AD00992.

* Adax
Dump
Genre: Arcade - Platformer (Multi-Screen) (although gameplay also involves finding a few items and bringing them to some place); Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Programmer: Rafał Wójcik; Sound: Krzysztof Szmatoła, Przemysław Witkowski; Serial: AC01292 / AD01292.

* Klątwa
Genre: Adventure - Joystick-Driven; Language: Compiled Forth; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Graphic Artist: Roland Pantoła; Sound: Leszek Hołda; Medium: tape/disk; Serial: AC01892 / AD01892.

* Microx
Dump
Serial: AC04593 / AD04593.

* Neron
Dump
All data correct.

* Kampania wrześniowa (the title has incorrect capitalisation. In Polish, capitalisation of titles is the same as that of normal sentences.)
Dump
All data correct.

* Władcy Ciemności (capitalisation is OK, it's a proper name)
Genre: Adventure - Joystick Driven; Language: Compiled Forth; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Programmer: Roland Pantoła; Graphic Artist: Roland Pantoła; Sound: Leszek Hołda; Year: 1993; Medium: tape/disk; Serial: AC05793 / AD05793.

* Barahir
Dump
Genre: Adventure - Joystick Driven; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Authors: Daniel Szymczuk (help: Michał Luberda); Medium: tape/disk; Serial: AC05693 / AD05693.

* Global War
Dump
Genre: Strategy - Miscellaneous (I guess - the game is a port of "Nuclear War" from Amiga); Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Programmer: Peter M. M. Elfinger; Graphic Artist: Dariusz J. Garbowski; Sound: Peter M. M. Elfinger; Medium: tape/disk; Serial: AC07593 / AD07593.

* Smuś
Dump
Serial: AC07693 / AD07693.

* Barbarian
Dump
All data correct.
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 am

Part 3. The following dumps are from my own tapes:

* Bang! Bank!
Dump
Controls: joystick or keyboard.

* Cywilizacja
Dump
Genre: Strategy - Wargame; Controls: joystick + keyboard; Players: 1; Graphic Artist: Tomasz Sadza; Year: 1993; Medium: tape/disk.

* Inny świat (the entry's title has incorrect capitalisation)
Dump
Genre: Adventure - RPG (2D or Text - not really sure which fits better); Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Graphic Artist: Adam Mateja; Year: according to the box, it's 1995; Medium: tape/disk.

* Inspektor
Dump
Genre: Adventure - Joystick-Driven; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Sound: Jakub Husak; Publisher: in my copy the box and manual say Orkus, but the the tape label states it was published by Mirage under licence from Orkus; Medium: tape/disk.

* Jaffar
Dump
Cover Artists: Bernard Szukiel, TOM.

* The Living Dayligts (no entry for this release)
Dump. This is standard CAS.
Year: 1995; Publisher: Mirage Software; Country: Poland; Medium: tape/disk; Serial: none; other data: same as in the Domark release.

* Magia
Genre: Adventure - Joystick-Driven; Controls: joystick; Players: 1.

* Operation Blood
Dumps: side A, side B. These are standard CAS.
Genre: Shoot'em Up! - Crosshair; Controls: (joystick/Amiga mouse/ST mouse) + keyboard; Players: 1; Programmers: Paweł Bulkowski, Paweł Kalinowski; Graphic Artists: Paweł Kalinowski (Stephen Wahid, author of the C64 Operation Wolf ingame graphics, is also credited after entering a cheat code); Sound: Paweł Kalinowski; Medium: tape/disk.

* Ship
Dump
Genre: Arcade - Miscellaneous; Programmer: Maciej Stefański; Sound: Tomasz Liebich; Year: 1993.

* Super Fortuna
Genre: Brain - Hangman / Word Game; Controls: keyboard or joystick; Players: 1, 1 vs 2, 2+, Demo; Year: 1993; Medium: tape/disk.

* Tron - Cykl świetlny (the subtitle is part of the title - it's written as such on the cover and in the catalogues)
Dump
Year: 1993.

* Videograph 2.0
Dump. This is standard CAS and works with SIO patch.
Genre: Graphics - Genlock / Information Display; Language: BASIC; Controls: keyboard; Players: -; Programmer: Wojciech Karpisiuk; Year: 1991 (manual says 1990/1991, in program it's 1990); Publisher: Mirage Software; Country: Poland; License: Commercial; Medium: tape/disk.

* Krucjata
Dump
Genre: Adventure / Arcade - 2D; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Programmer: Henryk Cygert; Graphic Artist: Dariusz Bartoszewski.

* Magia Kryształu
Dump
Genre: Adventure / Arcade - 2D; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Programmers: Piotr Kulikiewicz, idea by Bartłomiej Trokowicz; Graphic Artist: Aleksander Ast (not "Alexander"); Sound: Stanisław Skwiot.

* Miecze Valdgira II - Władca Gór
Dump
Credits: Aleksander Ast (graphics, comic book, animation, rooms), Henryk Cygert (program, sound), Bartłomiej Trokowicz (screenplay, map layout, rooms).

* Przemytnik
Dump
Genre: Strategy - Trading.

* Riot. This is standard CAS.
Dump
Genre: Arcade - Beat'em Up!; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Programmer: Bartek Selinger; Graphic Artist: Paweł Selinger; Music: Top Odin.

* Master Head. This is standard CAS.
Dump
Genre: Brain - Logical / Puzzle (Sokoban); Controls: joystick or keyboard; Authors: Tomasz Liebich, Radosław Buchta, Michał Widera, Grzegorz Pancherz (their roles aren't specified, but it is known that the only musician in the group was Liebich and the graphician was Widera, so the other two are probably programmers); Medium: tape/disk; Serial: s 00292.

* Drop It!
All data correct.

* Alfa-Boot (you have incorrect spelling, the hyphen is used on the box as well as everywhere ingame except on the disk version's title screen)
Genre: Adventure - Joystick-Driven; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Authors: Paweł Łapiński, Robert Makowski; Medium: tape/disk.

* Inside
You have two entries for the Spektra release: here and here, you should merge them. Otherwise all data is OK.

* Centurion (the subtitle is not used on the cover and in the manual - it's seen only on the disk version's title screen)
Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Programmers: Piotr Bugalski, disk intro by Robert Szurała; Medium: tape/disk.

* Piłkarski poker (the entry's title has incorrect capitalisation)
Genre: Sports - Football / Soccer; Language: Turbo BASIC; Programmers: Łukasz Sychowicz, Maciej Szcześniak; Graphic Artist: Daniel Sychowicz; Sound: none; Year: 1995; Publisher: Sikor Soft; Country: Poland; License: Commercial; Medium: tape/disk.

* Mózgprocesor
My tape is slightly different than the one in the database, the only difference being the legal distributor's address displayed when the player fails the copy-protection question. In my version the exact office address has been replaced by PO Box, with the excessive area being filled with spaces, which confirms that this version is the later one. The game was bought in mid-1991, just before the game's distribution was taken over by Mirage. Unlike your version, the game was not recorded twice on side A, but once on each side of the tape.

All credit for the following dumps goes to AtariArea member Grzegorz_29_, who supplied scans and WAV files:

* Kolony
Scans (also includes scans for Domain Software's Riot)
Genre: Strategy - Hammurabi / Kingdom; Language: Turbo BASIC; Players: 1 .. 5 (alt.); Year: 1991 (as written on cover; apparently the game was released in 1990 by Bień himself and picked up by Mirage year later); Medium: tape/disk.

* Ortografia
Scans (bonus: proof of purchase from 1991-04-16).
Genre: Education - Spelling; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Sound: Jakub Husak; Medium: tape/disk.

* Roderic. This is standard CAS and works with SIO patch.
Dump
Genre: Adventure / Arcade - 2D; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Sound: Dariusz Bartoszewski.

All credit for the following dumps goes to AtariArea member Duddie, who supplied scans (here)and WAV files:

* Change
Dump
Genre: Brain - Miscellaneous; Controls: joystick; Players: 1; Serial: AC01492 / AD01492.

* Chimera
This dump is slightly different from yours - checksums in most of the blocks are different. Probably doesn't affect gameplay though.

* Cywilizacja
This dump is completely different from the one coming from my collection (see above), using a different loader. It's probably a later version, although the gameplay seems unchanged.

* Feud

* Gry Atari XL/XE cz. IV
Dump
This is part four of a series of tapes/disks published by the magazine Tajemnice Atari, itself being a publishing arm of LK Avalon. It contains 4 programs previously published in the magazine: AQQ (also known as Avalon Quiz), Golf (actually a pirate hack of Mini Golf), Pong and Kulki.
Year: 1993; Publisher: Tajemnice Atari; Country: Poland; License: Commercial; Medium: tape/disk.
AQQ:
Genre: Brain - Memory; Language: Machine Language; Controls: Joystick, Keyboard; Players: 1; Programmer: Dariusz Żołna.
Golf:
Genre: Sports - Golf; Language: BASIC; Controls: Keyboard; Players: 1, 1 vs. 2, 2+; Programmer: Lesław Pasternak. Load using CLOAD.
Pong:
Genre: Arcade - Breakout / Pong / Circus; Language: Machine Language; Controls: Joystick; Players: 1, 1 vs. 2; Programmer: Jacek Binkul.
Kulki:
Genre: Arcade - Catch'em!; Language: Machine Language; Controls: Joystick, Keyboard; Players: 1; Programmer: Dariusz Żołna

* I.Q. Master (note the full stops in the title)
Dump
The dump in the database is not an original one - it's been modified specifically to work with emulators. It should be replaced by this one.

* Kernaw
Dump
Genre: Adventure / Arcade - 2-D; Controls: Joystick; Players: 1; Programmer: Michał Luberda; Graphic Artists: Paweł Nowiński, Mariusz Gacek, Michał Luberda; Sound: Michał Luberda; Serial: AC05193 / AD05193.

* Monstrum
Dump
Genre: Arcade - Collect'em!; Controls: Joystick; Players: 1; Programmer: Piotr Kulikiewicz; Graphic Artists: Aleksander Ast, Piotr Kulikiewicz, Bartłomiej Trokowicz; Sound: Paweł Grabowski; Medium: tape/disk.

* Rucu
Dump
Genre: Brain - Logical / Puzzle; Controls: Joystick, Keyboard; Players: 1; Programmer: Maciej Stefański; Graphic Artist: Dariusz Majer; Sound: Tomasz Liebich; Serial: AC02092 / AD02092.

* Skarbnik
Dump
Genre: Brain - Miscellaneous; Controls: Joystick; Players: 1.

* Stack Up
Dump
Medium: tape/disk; Serial: AC03792 / AD03792.

* Starquake
The image in the database is slightly incorrect - it contains a few excessive bytes. It should be replaced by this one.

* Transmuter
This image is quite different from yours, although I haven't noticed any difference gameplay-wise. Seems like an earlier or later revision.

Well, that's it, no more CAS files as for now.
Last edited by Kr0tki on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Many thanks, I'll update when I have some time!

Also still working on the tapes I need to send you :)

--
Atari Frog
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:01 am

BTW, did Mirage Software release The Living Daylights on disk as well?

--
Atari Frog
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:14 pm

They did! See the scans courtesy of Atarionline.pl. Such was the specifics of the Polish market, that every commercial title was published in both the tape and disk formats (apparently neither part of the market was small enough to risk ignoring). LK Avalon released each title in both formats, starting with their very first product (Robbo), and so did all Polish publishers. For some titles, the tape release was pushed back a few months (A.D. 2044, Operation Blood), and for some the tape version lacked some gameplay-unrelated elements (one music track in Barahir, intro in Vicky etc.)