Four .CAS files

Help us complete the database with missing entries, dumps, ads, scans...

Moderator: Atari Frog

solarice

Four .CAS files

Post by solarice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

EDIT : I've removed the originals to avoid good and bad files...Please see further down the thread for the 5 cleaned dumps by kr0tki of my originals

Just dumped these four, they arent listed in the database so hopefully you dont already have them :

Eastern Front 1941 (1985)(Atarisoft)
F-15 Strike Eagle (1984)(Microprose)
Speed Run (1989)(ByteBack)
Zaxxon (1983)(Datasoft) -- Big Boxed version - states official sega version

All are PAL and UK.

Tested and they seem to work, both before (direct audio into Atari) and after converted to .cas (cas only tested in emulator).

Anyways hope it helps. :)
Last edited by solarice on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
solarice

Re: Four .CAS files

Post by solarice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:20 pm

EDIT : I've removed the originals to avoid good and bad files...Please see further down the thread for the 5 cleaned dumps by kr0tki of my originals

The fourth :)

Zaxxon Game box photo and pdf manual available if you want them (too big to upload here).

Ive got Tank Commander dumped aswell, however the captured audio loads fine into an Atari but the wav2cas freaks out and chucks virtually all of it away...if anyone has any ideas or wants the audio file let me know.
Last edited by solarice on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 am

Try using A8CAS instead of wav2cas. If it doesn't help, just share the MP3 and I'll look into it.
solarice

Post by solarice » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Cheers for the link, I gave it a try and its not having it...not sure if its maybe to quiet even after fiddling with the file or if its just the way the file loads. There are a couple of clicks at the beginning and end of the silent portions after each sector (audio is split into 49 data sections iirc after the loading screen appears). Captured the audio a few times and same issue.

Could it be thinking the silence is bad data?

The odd thing is it loads no problem from the captured audio (no processing, just the file ive attached below) -- fed direct from pc soundcard to atari cassette player.

Tank Commander(1984)(Thorn EMI Computer Software) RAW WAV

You may spot something thats obvious.

While im uploading : Zaxxon Big Box Art and Manual
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:18 am

Tank Commander contains a glitch in the 9th-to-last record, no wonder WAV2CAS failed.

Anyway, I've managed to dump the game properly. A8CAS is extremely user-unfriendly, however it's also a great tape-debugging tool (I should write a tutorial some day, as currently I'm the only person on Earth that knows how to use it ;) ).

I've also took the other 4 dumps and cleaned them up - WAV2CAS has a tendency to leave some rubbish data at the end of the tape. It should be a standard practice to dump a tape in 3 steps: 1) Dump from WAV to a HEX file; 2) Clean the HEX file in a text editor; 3) Convert from HEX to CAS.

All 5 dumps are attached.

Alas, F-15 is not runnable without a manual - it asks for some secret codes. Could you also provide scans of the boxes, tapes and manuals? I'm sure the Atarimania fellows would be very grateful. (EDIT Oh I see the Zaxxon papers, thanks)
Attachments
5 cleaned dumps.zip
(65.75 KiB) Downloaded 1151 times
solarice

Post by solarice » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 am

Ah thats great (glad you noticed what i didnt), was the first lot ive done...i wasnt sure if to leave the stuff at the end, seeing as it was on the original tape.

A guide would be great, ive spent more time trying to work out the apps than converting. Even with the half hour tape loads haha.

Yeah i can do the pics, will need to be photos though as no access to a scanner. I know some pics are already up in the database so i'll get the others. The manual is huge though...will see what i can do. :)
solarice

Post by solarice » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 pm

F-15 Strike Eagle : Manual, Cassette Image and Box Art.

The zip includes the manual in pdf, aswell as the manual in original jpg's in big res...so you's can reuse / resize as you wish. Also included is a cassette image and box art. But you probably knew all that from the link name. :D

Will work on sorting images for the other games.
solarice

Post by solarice » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:42 pm

atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your support, I'll add them soon :D
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:22 pm

BUMP!

I won't ask "just how long is "soon" going to take" (it's very tempting though) :-)

Anyway, Grzegorz_29_ has sent me his scans of the Atari UK Eastern Front release mentioned above. The archive includes a scan of the cassette, so you wight want to add it to the cover scans that you already have in the database.
Check out A8CAS, a tool to archive Atari tapes