Decompiling/viewing the source code of an ATR format ROM?

Machine language, BASIC, technical questions...

Moderators: Atari Frog, Andre

BJPaskoff

Decompiling/viewing the source code of an ATR format ROM?

Post by BJPaskoff » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm looking to view and/or edit the source code of Mail Order Monsters, an Atari 800 game. I have the game in ATR format, and from what I read on AtariMania, the game is coded in Machine Language. Is it possible to view the source code either by decompiling it in Windows or viewing it in an emulator? I'd love to see how this game works. :)

Thanks!
Andre

Re: Decompiling/viewing the source code of an ATR format ROM

Post by Andre » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:02 pm

BJPaskoff wrote:I'm looking to view and/or edit the source code of Mail Order Monsters, an Atari 800 game. I have the game in ATR format, and from what I read on AtariMania, the game is coded in Machine Language. Is it possible to view the source code either by decompiling it in Windows or viewing it in an emulator? I'd love to see how this game works. :)

Thanks!
Decompiling is the wrong word since most of these old games have been written in assembler language in opposite to newer programs that are compiled (and optimized) from higher level programming languages like C or Pascal. So you actually need a disassembler. Check Programming Tools (sticky topic) in this section to find such programs that allow for disassembling of atr files on a modern PC. Also there is a member of this board, Kroah, who may give you some more pointers and help.
André
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 pm

You can also view a disassembly from the monitor of Atari800WinPlus by using the "D" command.

Note that a disassembly is not quite the same as source code.
Kroah

Re: Decompiling/viewing the source code of an ATR format ROM

Post by Kroah » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:09 pm

Andre wrote: Decompiling is the wrong word since most of these old games have been written in assembler language in opposite to newer programs that are compiled (and optimized) from higher level programming languages like C or Pascal. So you actually need a disassembler. Check Programming Tools (sticky topic) in this section to find such programs that allow for disassembling of atr files on a modern PC. Also there is a member of this board, Kroah, who may give you some more pointers and help.
Hi,

You are allright about the misused term "decompiling", but i realized too late it was better "disassembling"...

I advise using IDA (the free version) and to disassemble a memory snapshot made by the emulator (a lot faster than the rom).

If you want some help, you can contact me here or at my forum on my website.

Regards,
Pascal BRINGER
My Games Decompilation Page
http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/