Ultima III - only one with music?

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

FastRobPlus

Ultima III - only one with music?

Post by FastRobPlus » Tue May 30, 2006 9:36 pm

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a question about the Ultima series.

Is Ultima III the only Atari version with a soundtrack? I seem to remember getting Ultima IV and not getting music. I can't remember if that was a RAM thing or if the version just did not have music.

Also - on a semi-related note. I notice that screenshots show Ultima 3 and 4 sometimes as in black and white, rather than color. Is that becuause its running on an emulator?

Thanks! (and "HI THERE!")
crow

Post by crow » Wed May 31, 2006 7:52 pm

I've noticed a number of messed-up screen shots, including Ultima games, and they're because of emulation. I think that those games used artifacting to get more colors than you would normally be able to get at once. Unfortunately, whoever took the screen shots didn't run the emulator with artifacting support turned on. At least with the atari800 emulator on Linux, it isn't on by default, and there are several different modes of emulation (I think they have to do with CTIA/GTIA and possibly XL modifications to the video).
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Wed May 31, 2006 10:01 pm

You're right, artifacting isn't turned on most of the time. This is because it usually gives pretty average results on Atari800Win PLus.

AFAIK, Ultima III is the only game in the series with music.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
shannon

Post by shannon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:28 am

No quote function on this board? Whoops, nevermind found it.

Anyways I assume you are referring specifically to the Atari Ultima's, cause as far as I know the C64 version of Ultima 4 and Ultima 5 have music, and I believe the Atari ST has music as well.
FastRobPlus

Post by FastRobPlus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:30 am

Yeah. Just referring to the Atari 8-bit version. I was pretty dissapointed when Utima 4 came out for the Atari. I had seen it for the C64 and loved it, but I hated the C64's keyboard and didn't want to play it on that when I could play it on my 1200XL's keyboard. So when it came out and I bought it, I was so dissapointed in the lack of music that I only got about halfway and didn't play it again on either system.
I was just curious in case perhaps it has music on a 128K machine and I didn't know about it, not having 128K at the time. Sounds like it didn;t have music at all. Not too surprising really since the Atari 8-bits were fading by then.