jetset's "Please help me" thread

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

oesii

Post by oesii » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:53 pm

Your way might work but there's an easier way to boot executables using the PC Mirror in APE. Configure the PC Mirror to a certain directory like make one called AtariBoot so that whenever you hit the PCMirror button it's ready to go in that directory.

Now after you have the PC Mirror on, turn on and boot your Atari without your Basic cart in and it should display all the files that are in the Atariboot folder on your PC. This way you'll have a multi-executables menu of games and apps that you can select by pressing the right letter on the Atari.
jetset

Post by jetset » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:50 am

Once again I owe you guys thanks! I'm starting to get the hang of this I think!
I was able to run games using the PC-mirror, and also (against Atari Frogs advice I'm afraid) figured out how to convert .com files to .atr. the ones I did played with no problems.
oesii

Post by oesii » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:10 pm

I love it when a plan comes together 8)

About the only thing stopping you now is the 48k in your Atari 800. A few games require 64k and some of the newer ones like 128k in the 130XE. But it really is a minority of games.
jetset

Post by jetset » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:19 pm

oesii wrote:I love it when a plan comes together 8)

About the only thing stopping you now is the 48k in your Atari 800. A few games require 64k and some of the newer ones like 128k in the 130XE. But it really is a minority of games.
Funny you should mention...
I was thinking of upgrading to the 1200 series, since...
1) They seem to be relatively inexpensive
2) They go better with my color scheme (black & silver)
3) They play more GAAAAAAAMESSSSSSS!!

Of course, my wife will probably divorce me if I buy ANOTHER system. :(
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:31 pm

I really like the 1200xl, but for maximum compatibility, the 800xl or 130xe are probably best.

However, your 800 is the best-built of them all, and will play the vast majority of games.
jetset

Post by jetset » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:44 pm

deathtrappomegranate wrote:I really like the 1200xl, but for maximum compatibility, the 800xl or 130xe are probably best.

However, your 800 is the best-built of them all, and will play the vast majority of games.
Yeah, I'll probably stick with it. If I could somehow paint it black to match my other 4 systems...(Vader 2600, 7800, 5200 & Colecovision) I'd be in heaven. The white-faded to yellow crud color gives it personality, but isnt very sleek looking.
jetset

Post by jetset » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:09 pm

oesii wrote:I love it when a plan comes together 8)

About the only thing stopping you now is the 48k in your Atari 800.
OH!
That brings me to another question! :wink:

Ok...I have four memory modules. Three are 16K, and the 4th has no label and doesnt indicate what it is...what is the 4th memory mod?
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:25 pm

That's probably the ROM card.
oesii

Post by oesii » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:30 pm

Yeah, here's an illustrative picture. Your ROM card is probably just not labeled.

jetset

Post by jetset » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:45 am

deathtrappomegranate wrote:That's probably the ROM card.
oesii wrote: Your ROM card is probably just not labeled.

I knew that. :wink:
Shadeaux

Post by Shadeaux » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:30 am

where is the best place to get a SIO2PC cable? and what software is the best to use with those, You guys talked about APE and another, which is most recommended? and whats the latest version?

Anyone have any experiance with this new USBCart thing that is out now? what does that do exactly?
Image Image Image
oesii

Post by oesii » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:32 pm

The USB cart is one of the few modern 8bit gadgets that I haven't bought yet :P It seems like the drivers are just getting off the ground but in the future you should be able to use mice, flash drives, joysticks, steering wheels on the 8bits for fun. I know some of the drivers are out there but it seems a little early.

For a sio2pc adapter and cable you can get one at www.atariage.com or www.atarimax.com Both are great vendors.

For the sio2pc software you can use the shareware sio2pc software by Nick Kennedy which works great in DOS. That's free to download on the net. However, if you want to use sio2pc functions in Windows machines than you have to get APE which is written with Windows in mind. You can get APE from AtariMax too.

Finally, another good toy to have after you get your sio2pc setup going is a Atarimax Flashcart. These are programmable carts that you can build your own multigame menu-driven carts from. Pretty cool stuff.
Shadeaux

Post by Shadeaux » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:46 pm

Cool.. thanks again for the info!

What other modern gadgests are there for the a8?
Image Image Image
jetset

Post by jetset » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:38 pm

Shadeaux wrote:Cool.. thanks again for the info!

I'm curious as well, but if you're looking for stuff to buy, just get the SIO2PC from Atarimax. You'll have roughly 3,000 + games at your fingertips. TRUST me it's all you'll need for a while!

Meanwhile, I have another question for the experts. I now have 5.25 disks to save game progress (I like the text adventure games...call me ancient)
Anyways....
10) Do the disks need to be formatted?
20) If 10=yes then goto 30 else goto 40
30) How do I format them?
40) When I type "save game" then what? is the floppy drive a: ? b: ?
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:58 pm

jetset wrote:
Shadeaux wrote:Cool.. thanks again for the info!

I'm curious as well, but if you're looking for stuff to buy, just get the SIO2PC from Atarimax. You'll have roughly 3,000 + games at your fingertips. TRUST me it's all you'll need for a while!

Meanwhile, I have another question for the experts. I now have 5.25 disks to save game progress (I like the text adventure games...call me ancient)
Anyways....
10) Do the disks need to be formatted?
20) If 10=yes then goto 30 else goto 40
30) How do I format them?
40) When I type "save game" then what? is the floppy drive a: ? b: ?
Man, you really need to do some work on your BASIC syntax :wink:

Here's a link about Atari DOS that should help:

http://1000bit.net/support/manuali/atar ... OS_2_5.htm

If you want to save game data on real disks, they will need to be formatted first. Of course, you have SIO2PC, so you could use your PC as a virtual floppy.

BTW Liking text adventures doesn't make you a freak, many people still like them. They're waiting to be discovered by new generations too. Many of the Scott Adams games are classics, and there is a whole cult built around the "interactive fiction" games. Some of these titles sell for ridiculous money.

There is something cool about using real 5.25" media. 8" disks are stupidly fun, too, but not easily usable on Atari systems.