jetset's "Please help me" thread

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

ijor

Post by ijor » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:53 pm

Ah, I thought you were talking about something not technical. Sorry.
jetset

Post by jetset » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:40 pm

Great! Once again guys thanks for the info!
I've been keeping an eye on ebay for carts...not that I need them, I have the sio2pc hookup, but I still enjoy the hunt and collecting. Anyways, it seems that buying carts from overseas even with shipping comes out cheaper in the end than buying from the US. My guess is most US ebayers dont bother looking.
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:46 pm

jetset wrote:Great! Once again guys thanks for the info!
I've been keeping an eye on ebay for carts...not that I need them, I have the sio2pc hookup, but I still enjoy the hunt and collecting. Anyways, it seems that buying carts from overseas even with shipping comes out cheaper in the end than buying from the US. My guess is most US ebayers dont bother looking.
It depends what you're after.

Large lots of common carts appear on ebay in the US quite often, but are less common in Europe. However, rare stuff tends to fetch higher prices in the US. Of course, these are generalisations, and the 9-bit market is very volatile.

For example, a couple of years ago, a boxed Carnival Massacre would have cost $100s, but they're quite cheap these days.
jetset

Post by jetset » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:01 pm

I typicially shy from the large lots, simply because I'm too lazy to sell off the duplicates I wind up with. I in fact passed up on 2 good lots this weekend because they each had 3 games I already own...
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:34 pm

jetset wrote:I typicially shy from the large lots, simply because I'm too lazy to sell off the duplicates I wind up with. I in fact passed up on 2 good lots this weekend because they each had 3 games I already own...
When I bought my first BoulderDash cart, I had to buy another 32 games along with it. Fortunately the seller agreed not to ship the XEGS too, because it came from Canada, and it would have been a pricey deal.
jetset

Post by jetset » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Hey! I'm back with another (probably stupid :? ) question.

What is "osb" ? (See...told ya) Is it different than basic or same thing? I have an 800XL and am using the sio2pc interface. Some game files have
-osb after the filename. They tend to run fine whether or not I disable basic, but I see in the "notes" section of some games that certain games crash if not loaded with osb.
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:15 pm

jetset wrote:Hey! I'm back with another (probably stupid :? ) question.

What is "osb" ? (See...told ya) Is it different than basic or same thing? I have an 800XL and am using the sio2pc interface. Some game files have
-osb after the filename. They tend to run fine whether or not I disable basic, but I see in the "notes" section of some games that certain games crash if not loaded with osb.
"OS" = "operating system".

OS-B is the second version of the OS that was in the 400/800 machines (ie the pre-XL OS).

Atari changed the OS a little for the XL machines, so any programs that rely upon direct calls to any part of the OS that was changed won't work properly on XL machines.

You can change this setting in the emulator by changing the "machine type" parameter.
jetset

Post by jetset » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Actually I'm playing on the real hardware. So, it's basicially used for older pre-XL software then? I'm guessing then that if I *do* run into a problem with said files, I would just use a translator to make the program think it's running on a 400/800 (ala Demon attack)...

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/fa ... on-59.html
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:49 pm

Yes. Although there are a few games that won't work on XL machines, even with the translator, it's a small number.