Noob question

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

vicviper

Noob question

Post by vicviper » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Hello all, I'm just getting into the A8 scene after I found an 800 XL with a 1050 floppy drive at a local thrift store for 15 bucks. My question is, do you need the original atari dos disk to play anything in the floppy drive? I picked up Phantasie II and jewels of darkness, and I can't get either to load- BOOT ERROR over and over again. I read that phantasie had a copy protection in it that would fry your disk if you didn't put in a code from the manual, but I cant get Jewels of darkness to work either. I'm curious if I need to boot the dos disk before I boot up any other programs, or do I just have a bad drive? any help would be appreciated. thanks!
dafivehole

Re: Noob question

Post by dafivehole » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:59 am

Try holding down the Option button when turning on the disk drive. This disables BASIC (which a large number of programs do not require). You don't need DOS to run these games. If the Option thing doesn't work, it could be a disk drive issue (dirty head, etc.). I've never heard of a program frying any hardware... sounds rather urban legendish to me :roll:

Roger
vicviper

Post by vicviper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks, Ill try that. now that you mention it, I can't recall where I saw that thing about the disks getting fried. :mr.green:
AtariKSI

Post by AtariKSI » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:18 am

Most likely dirty disk drive or bad disk. I had a few 1050s sitting around and recently when I was testing some disk software, some had problems loading the programs until I gave the drive a good cleaning. Fortunately, I kept the disks in their sleeves and in a box, but the disk drives I kept without any covers.
MPDOS Standard, Pro, and SuperPro for Atari/Amiga systems: http://www.krishnasoft.com/sps.htm.
I prefer CDPC computers-- Cycle-exact, Direction-exact, Pixel-exact, & Compact-coding.
therealbountybob

Post by therealbountybob » Wed May 11, 2011 8:21 am

Hi folks :mr.green:
you could try turning by hand the disk in the sleeve to free it up a little and then loading the game holding the disk drive level open a little to relieve the pressure on the disk :)
trbb
AtariKSI

Post by AtariKSI » Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 am

How would he revolve the disk at around 300rpm and wouldn't he have to first drill a hole from the bottom of the drive so he can put the disk on his finger to spin it with the lever open?

Anyways, I don't think the speed of the disk being an issue is remote.

You know, it's a small world. I know a user with same id as you in another forum.
MPDOS Standard, Pro, and SuperPro for Atari/Amiga systems: http://www.krishnasoft.com/sps.htm.
I prefer CDPC computers-- Cycle-exact, Direction-exact, Pixel-exact, & Compact-coding.
therealbountybob

Post by therealbountybob » Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 am

he he I couldn't resist joining another forum! How's it going?