Atari Memories - recounting/reviewing the past

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

kiwilove007

Atari Memories - recounting/reviewing the past

Post by kiwilove007 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:13 pm

I will guess that everyone has their fond Atari memories - that back in the heyday of the 80s' no one really knew what will happen with the home computer scene - that today, we never guessed how big and all influencing the Internet has become today.

Of course - there was some inkling of it back then - from an Atari project that involved a cartridge that allowed you to hook up to some knowledge resource - I've forgotten the details, but that hinted towards the interconnectivity of today...

Nor about the emulation scene which allowed you to revisit and rerun almost all of the entire back catalogue of any home computer micro - that you'd wish to? I never got to play much of the BBC Beeb/etc games, and having run some recently - I wonder what the fuss was about with them? I'm sure glad I wasn't interested in them at all, back then - because they did not offer much in the way of graphics, like the Atari's did - same with the Sinclair Spectrum...

What was not foreseen - was how useful computers/computing would become... allowing people to collect their own home library of resource material - of whatever medium they preferred - such as books/text, audio, video and movie material (whether it be movies or documentaries... TV shows, etc etc). Having one terabyte of data is not uncommon these days - and it is becoming more usual to have around 5 to 10 terabytes, so as to have a more complete library these days.

The need for such a massive gigabyte storage - is of course for HD (high definition) content - and soon to be 3D content. 3D viewing has not settled down into a 'standard', such as what HD is...? The DVD standard is no longer adequate, as HD has now taken over, with blu-ray likely to become the newer medium? (Once it drops down in price to affordable levels - same with blu-ray burner/drives).
Perhaps within 5? years - 3D will appear in it's 3rd generation format (say without requiring the use of 3D glasses?) and will be comfortable enough, so that you can watch it for hours without any eye strain whatsoever?

Eye strain is such a serious issue today - and Microsoft/Apple has not acknowledged this much at all? Website developers should have taken note of this? By providing white text on a black/dark background, and not the reverse...
Atari took note of this (whether consciously or unconsciously...) with it's white text on blue screen - the exception to this is Sinclair, they should have done their research?

Anyways - I've gone on for long enough... History is always important, so that progress is made and recorded - and we all learn from it ... history.

Harvey