looking for name of vertical scrolling arcade shooter

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

chefcook

looking for name of vertical scrolling arcade shooter

Post by chefcook » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 am

Hi folks,

im looking for a game i used to play on the Atari 130 or 800 XE of my older brother. I already found many games by myself, but i browsed the whole list on this page by ingame snapshots and couldnt find that one.
It is a vertical scrolling shooter game.You fly from bottom to top a black plane, i think you can see the white propellers moving. You start off a carrier, from time to time bonus items appear carrying a large white x on it. When you activate the "smart bomb" your plane does a somersault and you are invincible for a short time.

I remember it to be a great game, but unfortunately i absolutely cant remember its name! Its like those 1942/1943 arcade shooter games we know..
I hope you know which game i mean, its the last one missing from my collection of those good old games i used to play when i was a child.it would be great if someone can help.

Hope to hear from you,
chefcook
Atari Frog

Re: looking for name of vertical scrolling arcade shooter

Post by Atari Frog » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Definitely Screaming Wings.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
chefcook

Post by chefcook » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Yes it is. Fuck yeah i love it, thank you for your quick reply. Im Serious, Thank you a LOT LOT mate.

Thank you. (i deleted a couple of "thank you"s and "LOT"s at this point, so it doesnt seem too childish, but they were meant absolutely serious)

I browsed the whole database and looked at all Screenshots. I must have overseen it, somehow i didnt recognize the screenshot.
gotta download and play and listen to that awesome music now. I think it will sound as great as it stayed in my mind.

keep up the great page and the good work :-)

See you guys, thanks atari frog
chefcook

Post by chefcook » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 pm

now i found out, that i even found it on youtube already (searching for 1942/1943 + atari keywords) but didnt recognize the pics. Whatsoever.
I really like the music and the second plane power up just rocks. The game is real fun. Im on level 62 now (lol) and its absolutely repetitive now. I didnt find a manual on the net which could possibly tell me how many levels the game includes. Well, its a great game. It would have been even better, if it had a little more variation in enemies in it. But its fun
therealbountybob

Post by therealbountybob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Screaming Wings is a nice game but once you master it it becomes too easy; shame as this spoils it being one of the greats :cry:

www.gwobby.webs.com
kiwilove007

Post by kiwilove007 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 am

You really can't expect too much from the programmer/etc as usually they are on a very tight development scedhule, such that you are lucky to have a game thoroughly playtested and adjusted accordingly. eg. Star Raiders was extensively tested before it's release, another game that shows it also, is Dropzone.

Vertical scrolling shooters on the Atari's are pretty rare - even Atari's own Xevious (that was never released) shows how difficult it can be. Though, when doing any kind of comparisons, etc --- it's really the programmer concerned (who actually did the programming) you are really criticising more... But the hardware simply does not lend itself easily to the vertical format (though Pathfinder shows a nice way of doing it).
One game that has stood out to me, in it's playability and playtesting is Bristles. Compare this to Flip and Flop - that simply gets to be far too difficult to play further into it.
Some games simply exude playability - and it is because of this, that they really stand out from all the others - such as... Sea Dragon, Miner 2049'er, Thrust (it takes time to develop the skill required in this game, but the increasing difficulty levels are not impossible to eventually conquer) .. and so on...

Dropzone showed the zenith of what the horizontal scrolling format can do ... and I will guess more can be done still?
Hawkquest tries to breathe life into the vertical scrolling format, and has done more than what others tried to do (eg. Flak, Xevious)...

Harvey
therealbountybob

Post by therealbountybob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 pm

We play a lot of games in the High Score Club (everyone welcome link on my site www.gwobby.webs.com )
It's suprising how many games still hold up to serious play, unfortunately there are some that become too easy like Screaming Wings - all the programmer had to do was something simple like in Drop Zone no extra men or smart bombs afer 1millon points and presto :) The most common flaw in games seems to be they dish out continual exra men (Pooyan and O'Rileys mine spring o mind)...

The awesome Miner '2049er is flawed in that you get to the 5th time round or so (if you are very good!!) and there are some impossible leves due to bug/speed/placement.... I love Bristles but it's a bit too hard for me to beat "more than" a few levels, several people got quite far into Flip and Flop, both excellent games. I'll have to take another look at Thrust as I remember it being frustrating to play; I think there's a joystick version too :)
FastRobPlus

Post by FastRobPlus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:32 pm

therealbountybob wrote:
The awesome Miner '2049er is flawed in that you get to the 5th time round or so (if you are very good!!) and there are some impossible leves due to bug/speed/placement....
I have a similar complaint with Tetris fot the C64. It's a great game but it continues to speed up until the joystick input is not longer fast enough to register the moves.
kiwilove007

Post by kiwilove007 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 am

You got to have a lot of patience with Thrust. It is do-able, but it takes time and lots of patience.

I did try out Thrust on the Vectrex emulator, which looks amazing - but I couldn't play it at all. I've lost all my thrust skills... Whereas, I can still play Bristles OK...

Harvey