Buying goods in Omnitrends Universe

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

Ed

Buying goods in Omnitrends Universe

Post by Ed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:33 pm

HI everyone. I'm stuck and need some help. I've got the emulator up and running, secured a loan and installed the hulls in the ship. However, it will not allow me to purchase goods..ore..crew etc. Not sure what I am doig wrong. I select crew for example..it becomes highlighted.. I type in 20...pressing selct F3 does nothing. Pressing return blanks the purchase. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.. Ed
Mr.Peanut

Post by Mr.Peanut » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:53 pm

Type 20. Hit return. It will display the price. Then hit Select.
Make sure you make a backup of your player disk before doing any plantary drive control.

The purchase gets blanked if you have entered an invalid part. The example game in the manual seems to specify an invalid part i.e. 1-5
Ed

Post by Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 am

Thanks for your reply peanut. I'm stuck on the sublight drive now...did orbital scan and system seems to have locked up. wont accept input.
Ed

Post by Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:00 am

Ohh Lordy...my apologies..just noticed your name is Mr.Peanut... sorry again and thanks again for your help.

Ed
Mr.Peanut

Post by Mr.Peanut » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Thats what happened to me too. I have read that the game often crashes at this point so it is critical to back up your player disk often.
Ed wrote:Thanks for your reply peanut. I'm stuck on the sublight drive now...did orbital scan and system seems to have locked up. wont accept input.
Ed

Universe

Post by Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Hmm..yeah..I managed to get by the sub drive bit by running the Atari at full speed.(F7) but it's hit and miss. Sometimes it works..sometimes it hangs. all that being said and done..I'm out of Ore 4 and stuck in space..so..it's back to the drawing board.

Ed
Mr.Peanut

Post by Mr.Peanut » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:33 pm

There are a couple threads on Universe in the AtariAge forums. [strikeout]I seems to recall that one of suggesting to use a v1.2 disk for one of the four disks.

I presume the version hosted here is v1.3?[/strikeout]

edit: Ooops! My suggestion is incorrect! See these: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... d+universe
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... d+universe
Ed

Post by Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 pm

thanks for input Mr.Peanut. It does seem like there are flaws..however Universe is just as addicting as I remember it. Never did find the booster...maybe this time? I will pop over to the other forum and see if there is info there on different versions. I think a lot of it is catching up with how things work..but a lot of it..does seem hit and miss. Thanks once again.

Ed
Ah Clem

Post by Ah Clem » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:31 pm

I finally managed to get past the sublight lockup problem by turning off the SIO patch in the emulator. Also, BASIC should be disabled.

I've been experimenting with playing Universe at different speeds. Running at 200% seems to work for the most part. It helps speed things up a bit. You can also cheat during the buying goods phase by slowing things down to 10% while selecting what to buy. My reflexes aren't as good as they were back in the day. :D
Best Regards,

Ah Clem
Ed

Universe

Post by Ed » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:36 am

Hi ah Clem

I too found playing with the speeds seemed to help. I pretty much run at 150 for the most part and 50 for buying goods. After using the hyperdrive. many is the time it crashes when going back to sub-light. No biggy though. I hear you on the reflexes :-) If you really want to cheat..you can click on another window...which will halt trading..then you can make darn sure you have the right key to press beneath your finger when the item you wish to buy pops up, then click on the Atari window to start trading again. I'm getting close to the million credit mark now and have purchased many items for the ship now. A crew of 60 and looking forward to doing some mining, and oh yes..finding that elusive booster hehe/