Loading *.bas games with Atari800Win Plus

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

rdefabri

Loading *.bas games with Atari800Win Plus

Post by rdefabri » Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 pm

I've searched the forums, seen the suggestions - nothing seems to work. Running Atari800Win Plus, any mode, and it crashes if I load a basic game using the "attach tape, override *.cas with *.bas" method. If I load from D: I get a 146 error.

What am I missing???

Thanks in advance - great site! Still have my original Atari 400 and tons of disks I need to go through!
Trooper

Post by Trooper » Thu May 08, 2008 6:41 am

When I load up a (non booting) .bas file I insert the DOS disk, starts emulation, when the Atari is started I replace the DOS disk with the disk with my .bas file on it and then I write:

load "D1:mygame.bas"

done.
rdefabri

Post by rdefabri » Thu May 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Tried that - getting error 172 (I forget my error codes, it's been like 30years!). No dice - still not working...must be something I am doing wrong.
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Thu May 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Which .bas files are you using?

Many will work if you just double-click on them from Windows Explorer.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Thu May 08, 2008 2:37 pm

Please check this thread: http://www.atarimania.com/atarimania_bo ... .php?t=772

Works fine for me all the time!

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Trooper

Post by Trooper » Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 am

As far as I can find error 172 could mean 2 different things depending on what DOS you're using:

172 SmartDOS: Illegal append
172 MyDOS: File/directory name exists in parent directory
rdefabri

Post by rdefabri » Fri May 09, 2008 5:41 pm

I am trying to load some old basic games I'd played when younger...Trench, Camel, etc. So I loaded DOS, warm reset, got the ready prompt and tried the LOAD "D1:xxx.BAS" - error pops up.

I've tried a few different DOS and Machine versions, with no luck.

Atari Frog - I tried to use the ".cas" to ".bas" switch - it caused the Atari800Win PLus to crash. I am running version 4.0, not sure if that has any implication.
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm

If double-clicking from Windows Explorer doesn't work, it might be worth re-installing the emulator.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri May 09, 2008 6:24 pm

rdefabri wrote:Atari Frog - I tried to use the ".cas" to ".bas" switch - it caused the Atari800Win PLus to crash. I am running version 4.0, not sure if that has any implication.
Not sure what you're doing wrong actually...

Is the virtual disk drive off? Did you manage to bypass the message stating that the file isn't a tape image? Do you see the file with the number of blocks when pressing ALT+T? You should be able to CLOAD and RUN it with no hassle.

This definitely works with the latest version of the emulator.

You can also load the files from the H: device but some of them will have to be renamed to a more standard format: LOAD"H:AAAAAAAA.BAS then RUN works.

--
Atari Frog
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri May 09, 2008 6:25 pm

deathtrappomegranate wrote:If double-clicking from Windows Explorer doesn't work, it might be worth re-installing the emulator.
No, double-clicking doesn't work with these files.

--
Atari Frog
rdefabri

Post by rdefabri » Fri May 09, 2008 9:24 pm

Atari Frog wrote: Is the virtual disk drive off? Did you manage to bypass the message stating that the file isn't a tape image? Do you see the file with the number of blocks when pressing ALT+T? You should be able to CLOAD and RUN it with no hassle.
Virtual drive is off. I can see the message that says the file isn't a tape image. When I hit "ok" to bypass, the system crashes.
Atari Frog wrote: You can also load the files from the H: device but some of them will have to be renamed to a more standard format: LOAD"H:AAAAAAAA.BAS then RUN works.
Seem to be getting similar errors, although this time its 176...frustrating. Sorry to be a pain over this, but now I am determined to figure it out. The emulator works like a champ otherwise, so I am not sure if re-installing it will do much.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri May 09, 2008 10:17 pm

You're right: it crashes. Dang... All is not lost though...

I did notice something weird. Instead of using ALT+T, just click on the "Atari" tab then choose the "tape recorder" option. Follow the same instructions and... it doesn't crash anymore!

--
Atari Frog
rdefabri

Post by rdefabri » Mon May 12, 2008 2:14 pm

BINGO! That did it! Thanks for that pickup, much appreciated!