Some questions about VAPI, AtariWin and Gamebase frontend

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

advfan

Some questions about VAPI, AtariWin and Gamebase frontend

Post by advfan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi,

1. Is the VAPI project still alive? It's been quite a while since the last VAPI dump was posted.

2 Why is it that in some VAPI dumps both disks are ATX files (e.g. Conan, Gruds in Space) while in others (e.g. Mask of the Sun, Serpent's Star) only the first file is an ATX file and the others are ATR ones?

3. In the AtariWin emulator, what is the Palette that's closest to the original Atari colors? The one called Default or the one called Real? Do I have to use the 'apply adjustment' option with any of those selections?

4. Also, when using artifacting in monochrome games, which option is the closest to what an original NTSC Atari computer would produce.

5. I'm using the Gamebase frontend to launch the Atari games. When using ATX or ATR files, everything works perfectly as the frontend changes the game without having to close the previous one. It uses the same emulator window that's open.
Does anyone know if it's possible to do the same with ROM or CAS files. So far I haven't been able to load one of those games directly with the frontend. I always have to go to the emulator menu and select the appropiate loading function.

Many thanks for your help.
Atari Frog

Re: Some questions about VAPI, AtariWin and Gamebase fronten

Post by Atari Frog » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:03 am

Hi,
advfan wrote:1. Is the VAPI project still alive? It's been quite a while since the last VAPI dump was posted.
The project is still alive and we hope there will be some progress in the coming months. Some more images will be posted soon.
2. Why is it that in some VAPI dumps both disks are ATX files (e.g. Conan, Gruds in Space) while in others (e.g. Mask of the Sun, Serpent's Star) only the first file is an ATX file and the others are ATR ones?
Quite simply because, in some cases, only the first disk is copy-protected :wink:
3. In the AtariWin emulator, what is the Palette that's closest to the original Atari colors? The one called Default or the one called Real? Do I have to use the 'apply adjustment' option with any of those selections?
First of all, the palettes in Atari800Win PLus are based on PAL settings and the colors may be different on NTSC machines. The screenshots that are taken are based on what I see on my real PAL computer. I have the default.act file, use the "apply adjustment" but have to change the settings as well.
4. Also, when using artifacting in monochrome games, which option is the closest to what an original NTSC Atari computer would produce.
The artifacting option probably needs some work and it seems there's no general rule! Sometimes, you even have to check what other versions look like to make sure you pick the right colors / artifacting option!
5. I'm using the Gamebase frontend to launch the Atari games. When using ATX or ATR files, everything works perfectly as the frontend changes the game without having to close the previous one. It uses the same emulator window that's open. Does anyone know if it's possible to do the same with ROM or CAS files. So far I haven't been able to load one of those games directly with the frontend. I always have to go to the emulator menu and select the appropiate loading function.
No idea... There's also the question of BASIC files.

Would it be possible to have the frontend have built-in files that would recognize checksums from Atarimania images only?

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
advfan

Post by advfan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Atari Frog wrote: The project is still alive and we hope there will be some progress in the coming months. Some more images will be posted soon.
Glad to hear that. Remember that although I cannot dump games, if you need my help trying to get games from Ebay or via donations just PM me.
Atari Frog wrote: Quite simply because, in some cases, only the first disk is copy-protected :wink:
So, if I understand correctly, the ATR file in that case is also the original, unmodified form of the original software.
Can all disk software be converted to VAPi or is that unnecessary if some ATRs are also unmodified originals?
If I'm wrong forgive me, but I like to ask in case of doubt.
Atari Frog wrote: First of all, the palettes in Atari800Win PLus are based on PAL settings and the colors may be different on NTSC machines. The screenshots that are taken are based on what I see on my real PAL computer. I have the default.act file, use the "apply adjustment" but have to change the settings as well.
The artifacting option probably needs some work and it seems there's no general rule! Sometimes, you even have to check what other versions look like to make sure you pick the right colors / artifacting option!
I guess this is a case where the subjective comes into play. Everyone will have their preferred options selected. I just wanted to know what was closest to the original, as it has been ages since I have had an 800XL in front of me.

Atari Frog wrote: No idea... There's also the question of BASIC files.
Would it be possible to have the frontend have built-in files that would recognize checksums from Atarimania images only?
No idea. I'm a complete zero in regards to programming. I will ask in the Gamebase or other Atari related forums and post new info if I get it.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com[/quote]
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:12 pm

advfan wrote:Glad to hear that. Remember that although I cannot dump games, if you need my help trying to get games from Ebay or via donations just PM me.
Thanks! I'm still working on the new revision of the "missing in action" list with lots of additions so watch out for that.
So, if I understand correctly, the ATR file in that case is also the original, unmodified form of the original software.
Yes, it's just that not all commercial disks have protection.
Can all disk software be converted to VAPi or is that unnecessary if some ATRs are also unmodified originals? If I'm wrong forgive me, but I like to ask in case of doubt.
See above: many commercial disks aren't copy-protected and are just ATR images that can be copied the classic way. A D in the main database is used to determine what we have in original form, whether the files are available as ATX or ATR images.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com