Summer Games II for XL ?

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

Mr.Bacardi

Summer Games II for XL ?

Post by Mr.Bacardi » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:53 am

In the mid/late 80's there were rumours that Summer Games II will be available soon for Atari XL, but as everybody knows it never appeared :-(
So, what's the reason for these rumours ? Were there official statements from Epyx side ? Did someone see a beta version or some screen shots ?
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:00 pm

I knew someone who told me he had seen Summer Games II in a German shop but I don't believe this claim. Such a high profile program would have been found by now... The game appeared in numerous dealer ads but it doesn't make sense to think it's out there. What I do remember is that there was a true urban legend about the game being available in the US and not being spread because the "laser protection" couldn't be broken! Mabe a prototype of Summer Games II exists though...

On the other hand, I believe in the existence of a Winter Games prototype. Not necessarily the Epyx version but a release by Atari (maybe they picked up some early code and finished it?). Anyway, a blue XE-style box was seen at the Atari offices in the UK and a screenshot of the game appeared in POKEY (a short-lived French magazine). Scans should be somewhere on one of the FTP sites...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Mr.Bacardi

Post by Mr.Bacardi » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:37 pm

On the other hand, I believe in the existence of a Winter Games prototype. Not necessarily the Epyx version but a release by Atari (maybe they picked up some early code and finished it?). Anyway, a blue XE-style box was seen at the Atari offices in the UK and a screenshot of the game appeared in POKEY (a short-lived French magazine). Scans should be somewhere on one of the FTP sites...
I remember there was a picture of the new XE GS in the german "Atari Magazin" showing a monitor with a "winter Games" on it in the back. ;-)
And I think it was identical to this fake "winter Games" picture (an exe-file) made by some unkown...
So maybe Atari really had the intension to release it...
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:50 pm

There's this picture but the one I'm referring to had a chalet in the background and a skier / biathlete in red.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com