Age of Adventure/Return of Heracles Emulator Problem

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

Columbo

Age of Adventure/Return of Heracles Emulator Problem

Post by Columbo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Wondering if anyone has an idea on this one. I was playing Return of Heracles the other day on Atari Win Plus 4.0, using the emulated joystick (arrow keys + shift). In this game, at one point, you are required to answer the Riddle of the Sphinx using the keyboard. I cannot get my keyboard to work to answer the riddle.

Keyboard emulation works find in all other games (even in the above, if I choose to move with the keyboard rather than joystick), and I've tried loading several different keyboard templates, all to no avail.

Anyone else tried this game or have any ideas? Not a huge problem, but it's been bugging me.

Thanks
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Have you tried temporarily disabling the joystick emulation by pressing the "Scroll Lock" key?
Columbo

Post by Columbo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:08 pm

I did try the scroll lock trick (should have mentioned that in my first message) and that offered a bizarre keyboard emulation where only a few keystrokes offered text, and they were all messed up. For instance:
PCKey 2 = Atari C
PCKey UP Arrow = Atari W

I tried creating my own keyboard template, and various other keyboard options on the emulator. I've used the Atari Win/Plus emulator for several years now without any problems. Just this one game.

The .ATR file I'm running is from the old Holmes site, I'll give the file on this website a try next to see if that makes a difference. If the keyboard gave me problems in any other game I'd chalk it up to my laptop, but all other games run normally.

Thanks for the help
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:24 pm

OK, let us know how you fare with the .atr from Atarimania.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:35 pm

Maybe it's a bad crack... Did you play it in OS-B mode as well?

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Columbo

Post by Columbo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 pm

Tried teh AtariMania .atr for Return of Heracles, same results (wouldn't let me type the answer on the keyboard). But when I tried using OS-B it did work properly.

So first, thanks for the suggestion on OS-B Atari Frog, finally I can finish the game even if I have to start from the beginning again.

What bothers me is that I had this game back in the day, purchased (not a hack) as the Age of Adventure combo (this on one side, Ali Baba & the 40 Thieves on the other) and I had a 65XE, program ran fine for me.

When you start the game (all versions, including the one I owned back in the 80's) you get a screen that says "Push "Y" if this is an old (CTIA) Atari." My 65XE was not, so I would hit any other key which is the same as I was doing in AtariWin+4.

Obviously when I load OS-B I have to hit "Y" and doing that makes the program run correctly, including allowing me to type the riddle answer.

Anyway, works for me in OS-B. Thanks again for the help & ideas.