Was an Atari your first computer?

For everything... general (no kidding).

Moderator: Atari Frog

deathtrappomegranate

Was an Atari your first computer?

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:15 pm

I know that many people got into collecting Atari stuff because their first computer was an Atari.

For me, this wasn't the case. I always wanted an Atari computer, but I couldn't afford one back then.

I had a Sinclair Spectrum in 1983, and used to dream of a machine with hardware sprites and multi-channel sound. And a real keyboard.

In fact, I began programming at school, on a dumb terminal with a 110 baud link to a dusty mainframe that was miles away. ASCII characters only - no graphics, and only a "ctrl-g" beep for sound. Only BASIC was available as a language.

I'd be interested to hear how other people first became interested in Atari computers.
Last edited by deathtrappomegranate on Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:10 pm

I am an Atarian 8)

My first console was a VCS, I wanted an Atari 800 but it was too expensive.
My first computer was a 800XL, I spent hours typing BASIC listings :roll: , saving them on my 1010 and drawing with the graphic tablet.
The first adventure game I finished is Lucifer's Realms, I played it with a friend (and an english dictionary :P ) .

I also had a 130XE, 520 ST (with TOS in Ram), MegaST, Lynx, Portfolio, TT (for job), Jaguar, Falcon and even an Atari PC !
Andre

Re: Was an Atari your first computer?

Post by Andre » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:50 pm

Hi,
deathtrappomegranate wrote:I'd be interested to hear how other people first became interested in Atari computers.
Grandfather tell me a story ... well, then ...

... my first computer was an Atari 130XE with XC12 (couldn't afford a disk drive). Soon the stock XC12 turned out to be unreliable and I installed a hardware upgrade to boost the transfer rate up to 6000 Baud (loading time for Silent Service was cut down from 20mins to 2mins this way :D ). Some months later I lent a 1050 disk drive from a friend but had to return it shortly after I got it :(

Since all people around me dropped their 8-Bit machines and bought Amiga computers instead I decided not to buy an Atari XF551 disk drive for 400DM (1050s were sold out at that time) but an Amiga 500 for 700DM. Unfortunately I had to sell my 8-Bit equipment to raise the money for the Amiga 500 :(

Some years later I suddenly missed my Atari 130XE badly - that was the time I bought my 130XE back from the guy I sold it to and then I began to collect for that system since hard- and software prices were rather low :D

André
oesii

Post by oesii » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:40 pm

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 (ZX81 to you people on the other side) http://oldcomputers.net/zx81.html

I remember learning basic or applying the Basic I learned in school and writing simple programs. The only accessories we got was the rampack and a cassette drive for it. Hard to remember what all we did with it and I was only 10 years old :D

My next computer was an Atari 800, then a 800XL, and a 130XE. Lasted me for a good 8 years those did.
Spirit
Location: east of the windmills, downwind from the dairy farms

Post by Spirit » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 pm

My first computer was a TI-99A. My friend just told me about this site because he has been playing MULE non-stop for a week now. I haven't played since we finally got rid of our old atari 800s a few years ago. Great site!
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:03 pm

I liked the TI99. A very early 16-bit machine, although not noticeably faster than the 8-bit competition. But it was very user-friendly, and the Connect4 cartridge was great!

As for the TS1000 / ZX81, I knew loads of people who had them, and my friends and I spent many hours on the "thump-sensitive" keyboard. Clive Sinclair was universally known as "Uncle Clive" back then!

The ZX81's predecessor, the ZX80, caused a huge amount of interest when it was launched. The use of a ULA chip meant that it was small and cheap to produce. Sinclair's machines introduced a generation to computers.

However, everyone wanted an Atari!

@Spirit - M.U.L.E. is a great game, and well worth a week of anyone's time!
ichichich

Post by ichichich » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 pm

My first contact with Atari was the Atari 2600 of a neighbour when I was 8 or 9 years old. Thrilling machine! Unfortunately I never had a 2600 on my own. Pitfall, Frogger and Spider Man were my favourites.
My very first computer was an MSX machine by Sony. I loved it ! Unfortunately I could not afford a disk drive and so I had to be very patient with my tape recorder.Next problem was: except for one other guy, I didn't know anyone else with an MSX computer, and so I wasn't able to share games with other people. And as a 9 year old who didn't know anything about computers, I was quite disappointed as I found out that C-64 tape games didn't run on my MSX computer. So I had to spend my pocket money for new tape games. It still was a great computer. Later on, my neighbour got an old 48k Atari 800 as a birthday present. Wowthat machine was impressive! It had a disk drive and many many games! From this moment on I used every chance to play with his Atari ! I don't know why, but I liked the Atari 800 more than the C64, although, of course, this was also a great machine. Maybe it was the special charme of the Atari, and the MSX, too. Everyone had or wanted to have a C64, and I've never been the kind of person that wants to swim with the main stream. Well, finally 1987 I sold my MSX computer to a small computer museum and bought an Atari 520 ST! I was so mega proud, you wouldn't believe it!Everyone used to show pitty for me with my tape recorder MSX, and then everyone was jealous on my incredibly modern ST. Wonderful time! Wonderful machine! In 1989 it was replaced by a 1040STE, which is still in my collection today, next to a Mega STE. Thanks to ebay, I started to buy all the great computers that have impressed me most through my childhood and youth. I bought a new MSX2 computer, a C128, an Amiga1200 and this week, to complete my list, I finally bought an Atari 800XL. I cant wait to receive the parcel and dive back into the 80s!
Shadeaux

Post by Shadeaux » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:35 pm

My first computer was indeed an Atari 800. We had the good old Tape Recorder Drive, joystickes and a set of paddles. I rememver spending hours typing program code from Antic Magazine just to play something new. Or the 10-20 minutes of blistering screachings from the tape player while games loaded up. I guess that was probobly around '80-'81, I remember opening it up for xmas and thinking, "Aw.. its not an Atari2600" (which is what a couple of friends had).. little did i know then that the 800 was far cooler. I think my dad and I used that computer for a few years. Just yesturday I purchased an Atari800 with about 10 game catradges on eBay for $48.00!! Now I need to get a joystick and a disk/tape drive. Good Times are here again.. I was thrilled when I learned that there were emulators out there and old game titles available for it, really brings back the memories. :D
atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:07 pm

Shadeaux wrote:I remember spending hours typing program code from Antic Magazine just to play something new.
Me too :mr.green: In the beginnig I didn't owned a tape drive so after spending 1 hour in typing and 1 hour in playing I had to power off my computer and I lost everything :evil:
jetset

Post by jetset » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:42 am

Nope, my first computer was a Ti-99/4A. I dont remember what happened or why (I was about 12 at the time I think) but Texas Instruments discontinued them or something, and they dropped in proce from like $1000 to $99 ! I remember waiting in line with my mom for hours to get one. That was a great little computer. I wish I still had it. I always loved the half text/half graphic adventure games (Ret to Pirates Isl, etc)

BUT... my most recent computer is an Atari (800) I acquired about 2 weeks ago! I have some hookups coming in the mail so I'll be up and running soon. AND several carts from MR Deathtrappomegranate who was kind enough to offer them to me free!!!!!

I cant wait...I'm an 8-bit nut I guess since I'm a big 5200 guy. SO you'll all be seeing more of me here if that's ok with everyone! :wink:
atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:22 am

Welcome in the Atari's family :mr.green:
Elesias

Post by Elesias » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:45 am

My first Atari computer was a ... 520 STF :lol:

But my very first computer was an Oric Atmos (ah... sweet memories of tapes loading so slowly :D ). Moreover, my first console was the great and wonderful Colecovision, but I played a lot of VCS games because of the Coleco VCS Adapter.

So I can't really tell I'm an Atarian, though I find these machines very interesting.
atarimania
Site Admin

Post by atarimania » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:49 pm

As you never owned a C64 or an Amiga so you can be considered as an Atarian :mr.green:
Andre

Post by Andre » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:00 pm

jetset wrote:I have some hookups coming in the mail
In case you are a PC-owner also :wink: I recommend to provide yourself with the SIO2PC/APE equipment. That allows for interconnecting Atari 8-Bit computers with PCs which are degraded then to serve as peripherial components like disc drive or printer :twisted:.
André
jetset

Post by jetset » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:06 pm

Andre wrote:
jetset wrote:I have some hookups coming in the mail
In case you are a PC-owner also :wink: I recommend to provide yourself with the SIO2PC/APE equipment. That allows for interconnecting Atari 8-Bit computers with PCs which are degraded then to serve as peripherial components like disc drive or printer :twisted:.
Yes, I ordered mine last week! It should be coming to me in the mail any day now!