Frogger really a prototype?

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

FastRobPlus

Frogger really a prototype?

Post by FastRobPlus » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:26 am

I was looking at the listing for Frogger and noticed that John Harris is credited with the disk and cassette version of the game, and that Chuck Benton is credited with a prototype version of the game that is unreleased.

I have a full boxed copy of Frogger on cassette that was written by Chuck Benton. The box looks like the one in the listing here on AM, but says "Cassette by Chuck Benton" on the front rather than "Disk by John Harris"

Likewise, the instructions and the tape say Atari version by Chuck Benton.

Is it possible that the cassette version of Frogger was by Chuck Benton, and the disk version by John Harris, and there was no prototype version?
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:31 am

I don't have a boxed copy but my tape says "ATARI VERSION BY JOHN HARRIS". Could it be you have an older release with a typo? IIRC, the instructions are confusing because they still refer to Chuck Benton and not John Harris.. For the most part, I think they weren't rewritten for the Atari port..

I believe the game we have listed as a prototype comes from John Harris himself and was released not too long ago. John also told me about Chuck Benton's unreleased version way back in 1998 (at the World of Atari event). It would be absolutely incredible if you had an early run with Chuck's code and not John's, though I don't think that's possible...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
FastRobPlus

Post by FastRobPlus » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Chuck Benton does claim to have ported Frogger on his web site:
http://www.technologysystemsinc.com/def ... tentID=618

Sound's like I'll have to wait until I get a tape drive to find out what I have.