atari emulator software images (rom's) renamer utilities

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

carmel_andrews

atari emulator software images (rom's) renamer utilities

Post by carmel_andrews » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:45 am

Just recently downloaded a bundle of software images (Atr/xex/exe etc) for atari++ and a800win+

Mostly from fandal w/s, vjetnam and also the ftp mirror for the old 'holmes' atari site amongst others

I do have some rom/images renamer programs, TIM (Tosec), Rom centre, clrmamepro 3.85 (various versions) etc

Now whilst these utilities are pretty good and do rename some files, none of these utilities will rename or fix all the files

Now i seem to remember atari frog mentioning that he has incorporated a renaming systems and CRC system (for orig. zip files) on his website, along the same/similar concept of tosec

Would it be possible for Atari frog to giving this new system/utility to other atari 8bit software archive w/s's so that atari emulator users can at least have a common naming standard for their software images, or to at least releasing it into the public domain, so that we can do it ourselves

Idealy it would encompass all atari hardware platforms (A8,A16/32, PC, Vcs and 52/7800 and also lynx and Jaguar) and also recognise different CRC's from different .zip file versions of the same game file
Atari Frog

Re: atari emulator software images (rom's) renamer utilities

Post by Atari Frog » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:52 am

carmel_andrews wrote:Now i seem to remember atari frog mentioning that he has incorporated a renaming systems and CRC system (for orig. zip files) on his website, along the same/similar concept of tosec
Huh? What in the world did you smoke? I never wrote anything like that. It's not my site either, it's a collective effort.
Would it be possible for Atari frog to giving this new system/utility to other atari 8bit software archive w/s's so that atari emulator users can at least have a common naming standard for their software images, or to at least releasing it into the public domain, so that we can do it ourselves
More and more nonsense...

1. We don't have such a renamer and don't plan to write one for the moment. If we do, it will be for verified images only.
2. We don't give a damn about the so-called 491 versions of a same game just because it was pirated by somebody else or shortened with a different packer.
3. Our goal is to have a sorted database of original / uncracked releases with all related extras (or at least have something close), which means we're not a warez site. While I do agree it's not always practical to download programs one by one, you're at least guaranteed to have verified information on pages that have been completed (usually the ones which have something in the "dump" column).

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Andre

Post by Andre » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am

Bertrand is right, there is no such utility.
André