Astro Chase old Bios only?

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

Andre

Astro Chase old Bios only?

Post by Andre » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:19 am

Hi,

does the Parker version (cartridge) run with the old bios (400/800) only?

André
oesii

Post by oesii » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:40 am

Do you have a copy of the cart .bin? I could test it for you, I have something like 30 8bit OS's that I can try out :)

The only Astrochase file I have is Astro Chase (19xx).exe and I'm not sure if .exe files are dumped from carts or from disks. Anyways, it runs fine on the XE and XL roms (rev. C and D).
Andre

Post by Andre » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:39 am

Hi,

meanwhile I could test with the real iron (400) :) - and it works with 400/800 only. I heard about an official release from First Star (in silver box like Boulder Dash) as XL/XE version. Can someone confirm this?

Andre
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:04 am

Hi,

The Astro Chase entries aren't really sorted yet but I don't think it's hard to tell the difference between the releases if you look closely. Chronologically, we should have the following:

First Star Software
- tape release: says "FIRST STAR SOFTWARE PRESENTS..."
- disk release: same but with an additional intro screen and a better font

Parker Brothers
- cartridge release: says "PARKER BROTHERS PRESENTS..." (old OS only, unless hacked)

First Star Software
- cartridge release: probably the same as the original tape version but only released for the Exidy Max-a-Flex arcade cabinet. Don't know about the box...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Andre

Post by Andre » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:23 am

Atari Frog wrote: First Star Software
- cartridge release: probably the same as the original tape version but only released for the Exidy Max-a-Flex arcade cabinet. Don't know about the box...
Recently I got a photo from Nir Dary showing the Astro Chase cart on it - along with a silver-stylish Astrochase box. Interestingly, the sticker on the box (that usually tells for which system the disk/tape/cart was made for) was removed. Nir replied then that he got the box as shown on the photo. But he also told me that there is an extra "for XL Computers" (if I remember correctly) printed somewhere on the box.

André
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:56 am

Astro Chase being a common game, there should be lots of First Star cartridges of it then... I know the kind of sticker First Star uses but my theory is that someone just photographed a normal disk / tape box.

Unless First Star put out a very small run of cartridges before Parker Brothers bought the rights? Still, that doesn't make complete sense though as the Parker Brothers version only uses the old OS...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Andre

Post by Andre » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:09 am

Atari Frog wrote:Astro Chase being a common game, there should be lots of First Star cartridges of it then...
Good point.
someone just photographed a normal disk / tape box.
...and removed the sticker before :roll: My theory too...

I am wondering if First Star actually rereleased Astro Chase on disk or tape for the Atari computers in the silver box. Maybe they did for Commodore and others only?
Unless First Star put out a very small run of cartridges before Parker Brothers bought the rights? Still, that doesn't make complete sense though as the Parker Brothers version only uses the old OS...
Yes, this wouldn't make sense to release a XL compatible version first and then rerelease it as 400/800-only version. Btw, the original disk release from First Star (first First Star game?) on disk works with 400/800 only too.

But the silver cartridge definitively exists, since I have seen the Exidy coin up (with a 600XL built in) some time ago on ebay.com, along with Boulder Dash, Bristles, Flip & Flop - and Astro Chase, each on cart. Maybe Nir managed to get the cart and ...

André
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:35 pm

The PB cart is 400/800 only.

As regards the cart released for the Exidy arcade machine...well, that machine was based around an XL computer, so it must be XL compatible.

I've yet to see one, although I've heard of the auction that André mentioned. Nir Dary has posted messages elsewhere saying that he has this cart, although I haven't seen any images.

I'd be surprised if there was a box for this cart alone. My understanding is that all of the carts were supplied with the machine. However, that is based on one account only.

I have friends looking out for the Exidy stuff, but I guess it's pretty rare.

Does anyone know whether this arcade machine was available outside North America?
Callipygous

Post by Callipygous » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:06 pm

I agree that an Astrochase XL box is a likely fake or from some other version. I believe that First Star only sold the Bristles and Flip Flop carts because they made a run of them for Exidy. This is why those carts are rare. They could not sell an Astrochase cart because of the Parker Bros agreement. Therefore - no box.

Also, who would buy Astrochase anyway? :mr.green:
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:27 pm

Callipygous wrote:Also, who would buy Astrochase anyway? :mr.green: