Homesoft 5200 conversions

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

spunkydunky

Homesoft 5200 conversions

Post by spunkydunky » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:16 am

Very grateful to Homesoft for converting these titles, but why is Homesoft being given Publishing/Programming credit for these titles? I've looked up some of the other 5200 conversions by Glenn "The 5200 Man", and they aren't similarly credited.

I feel that Atari and the actual programmers deserve credit for these titles, as these titles wouldn't even exist for conversion without their efforts.

Also, I noticed that the country of origin is listed as Germany, which also seems out of place. Once again, hats off to Homesoft for the conversions, but lets give the real credit to whom it belongs.
Last edited by spunkydunky on Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:50 am

Very grateful to Homesoft for converting these titles, but why is Homesoft being given Publishing/Programming credit for these titles? I've looked up some of the other 5200 conversions by Glenn "The 5200 Man", and they aren't similarly credited.

You're right, we need to harmonize the entries.
I feel that Atari and the actually programmers deserve credit for these titles, as these titles wouldn't even exist for conversion without their efforts.

The actual programmers ARE credited, at least in the case of the 5200 conversions released this year. Maybe Atari / Homesoft would be a better alternative but as the games were never on the A8 in the first place, I don't think it's 100% wrong to have Homesoft as "publisher" either.
Also, I noticed that the country of origin is listed as Germany, which also seems out of place. Once again, hats off to Homesoft for the conversions, but lets give the real credit to whom it belongs.

Homesoft is German and there's a serious bet neither of these games would have seen the light of day without his conversion work. It's certainly not out of place. As I said, maybe Atari / Homesoft would be better and maybe we'll change it in the future...

Edit... Sorry Spunkydunky, I hit EDIT instead of REPLY so your message got truncated :oops:

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Andre

Re: Homesoft 5200 conversions

Post by Andre » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:23 am

spunkydunky wrote: but lets give the real credit to whom it belongs.
Have you ever tried to convert 5200 titles over to the 400/800? Usually this is not a trivial task although the architectures of both systems are somewhat close. On the other hand, if we credit Homesoft for conversions we should do the same with Glenn, too.
André
spunkydunky

Post by spunkydunky » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:44 pm

Atari Frog wrote:
The actual programmers ARE credited, at least in the case of the 5200 conversions released this year. Maybe Atari / Homesoft would be a better alternative but as the games were never on the A8 in the first place, I don't think it's 100% wrong to have Homesoft as "publisher" either.

Homesoft is German and there's a serious bet neither of these games would have seen the light of day without his conversion work. It's certainly not out of place. As I said, maybe Atari / Homesoft would be better and maybe we'll change it in the future...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Sorry, I don't intend to sound too critical. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the disparity. If you click on "5200 conversions", to bring up all listings, you'll see what I mean.

I think that Atari / Homesoft would be more accurate. By the way, no offense to Germans, I am a German/American myself.