SSI's Bomb Alley

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

osgorth

SSI's Bomb Alley

Post by osgorth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:52 pm

Hey ho :)

I was looking through the site (which is great, excellent work folks!) and came across this entry. This game was never completed for the Atari, it is vaporware.. It was "in the works" in one or two catalogs back when, but never appeared. It only exists for the Apple II.

Cheers,
osgorth
deathtrappomegranate

Re: SSI's Bomb Alley

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:01 pm

osgorth wrote:Hey ho :)

I was looking through the site (which is great, excellent work folks!) and came across this entry. This game was never completed for the Atari, it is vaporware.. It was "in the works" in one or two catalogs back when, but never appeared. It only exists for the Apple II.

Cheers,
osgorth
We saw your comment about that. Thanks for pointing it out!

There was always going to be a separate section of the database for "rumor mill/vaporware" games, and a few items, including this one, really belong there. Unfortunately, we haven't got around to doing that yet.

It's nice that someone's paying attention!

Please let us know if you notice any other anomalies, and thanks for the kind words Image
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:10 pm

Ah, right, hehe. Didn't know where I was supposed to point it out, Andre reminded me about the forum the other day so I thought I'd give a shout. :)

If you're *really* nice I might share scans of any missing SSI and Avalon Hill games with you later (I have pretty much all of them), I just need to put up my own site first..which is just three years late or so, but still. One of them days.. At least I have a domain! ;)
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:12 pm

osgorth wrote:Ah, right, hehe. Didn't know where I was supposed to point it out, Andre reminded me about the forum the other day so I thought I'd give a shout. :)

If you're *really* nice I might share scans of any missing SSI and Avalon Hill games with you later (I have pretty much all of them), I just need to put up my own site first..which is just three years late or so, but still. One of them days.. At least I have a domain! ;)
:mr.green:

We'll try to be nice!
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 pm

You know, to be honest, Atari people are always nice! It's just one of those things I've noticed over the years, it's pretty strange actually.. There's got to be some positive vibes from those systems.. *laughs* As if we didn't know already, but anyway.
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Yes, I've met some really great people through Atari. There's a real community spirit about those machines!
Andre

Re: SSI's Bomb Alley

Post by Andre » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:09 am

Thanks for popping up at the Atarimania forum :D
osgorth wrote:This game was never completed for the Atari, it is vaporware..
What makes you that sure? Do you know the developers/programmers of the game or members of the former (?) staff of SSI?
André
osgorth

Post by osgorth » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:37 am

Mostly because I have basically all catalogs and have studied them extensively. It is mentioned as in the works once or twice iirc, but was never announced or in the stock listings = that's a sure sign. Questionable vaporware are usually announced or appear in a stock listing once or twice to then disappear, but those that never get that far have so far never appeared (any game, any platform).

The catalogs are a great source of info, although they are somewhat optimistic sometimes. There are some listings that so far seems to be incorrect, insofar as nobody has been able to find anything that proves them correct. North Atlantic '86 for Macintosh is a prime example, hehe. Currently there a couple of conversions that I'm very doubtful about (none for Atari though), but the rest has proven to be true, even some that I've clearly marked as errors in the past! So well, you never *really* know I guess..

The "In the works"-section is quite speculative though, there were lots of rumours started there, lots of planned conversions announced, and lots of them were cancelled. Unfortunately.. There were quite a few conversions canned that at least I would've loved to see. :)