Why only games?

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

ijor

Why only games?

Post by ijor » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:31 pm

Why only games are included in the archive and database? Why not include applications, tools, utilities, etc?

Yeah, I know that most retro sites usually implement the same policy. But personally I don’t understand this and don’t agree.

It is being said that some applications are still supported and sold, and then a moral and legal problem might arise. This might be true for 16-bit machines (ST, Mac, Amiga), and only in exceptional cases. And if there are some cases in the A8, those particular cases could be avoided.

It is also being said that you normally won’t use an 8-bit word processor or spreadsheet. But this is not totally true neither relevant. I’d say that you probably won’t use a lot games neither, not coz they are 8-bit but because they are crappy. So what? We are not preserving the better stuff, we want to preserve everything.

Btw, other retro preservation sites came to the same conclusion and are changing the “game-only” policy. My two cents …
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:35 pm

The 8-bit section was started with games and educational software only.

However, applications, utilities, demos and so on will be appearing too.
ijor

Post by ijor » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:48 pm

Oh, glad to hear that :D

Forget all what I said then :oops:
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:02 pm

Not that loud :wink:

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Oops...shhhhh!

:mr.green:
oesii

Post by oesii » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:29 am

Any good links to get applications and utilities? I'm always surprised when I look on my hard drives and find thousands of games but only a few dozen applications from back in the day.

Of course, I can just be patient and wait for AM to do the job :P