Need help identifying some titles

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

sku_u

Need help identifying some titles

Post by sku_u » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:13 am

A friend of mine just gave me a bunch of old 8 bit disks (all are copies and not originals) and I'm having some trouble identifying the company associated with the game.

Maybe some of you experts can help me out. Here are the titles. Sorry I can't provide more info at this time:

Abert
Apollo 11
Buggy
Caveland
Creepshow
Klystron Raider
Labyrinths of Kamerra
Music Construction Set
Starfire Warrior
Warplock
Warpzone
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:22 am

Interesting...

Music Construction Set - is by EA.

"Labyrinths of Kamerra" - is probably Quest of the Space Beagle by Avalon Hill.

Starfire Warrior - might be Adventure International (can anyone confirm this?)

Klystron Raider - the year and author are known (1982)(H. Lentchner)

Apollo 11 - I know that Mastertronic released a game with this title for the Sinclair Spectrum, but I'm not sure if this is the same game.

Too late for more now...

BTW If you get a chance, can you confirm that the games work? They might have info about the companies in the title screens.

Certainly interesting!
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:14 am

Hi,

> Abert

Could be some sort of Q*bert variation, never heard of it... Do you have a way of dumping it for us?

> Apollo 11

Some sort of space simulation in BASIC, that's all I know. I've seen this one on lists for years and years but don't whether it's commercial. Dump also wanted :wink:

> Buggy

Probably Baja Buggies by Gamestar (there's no title screen on that one but you should have a scoreboard).

> Caveland

Probably Cavelord by Ariola.

> Creepshow

Public domain, it's just a pinball game made with Pinball Construction Set.

> Klystron Raider

No idea where this one actually comes from, the game is also known as On Slaught.

> Labyrinths of Kamerra

One of the parts ripped from Quest of the Space Beagle by Avalon Hill.

> Music Construction Set

Electronic Arts.

> Starfire Warrior

Can't remember but it's one of those unreleased games just floating around...

> Warplock

Never heard of it. Dump needed.

> Warpzone

Should be by Counterpoint Software (CSI), no idea whether the game was actually released... It's under Warp Zone in the database, we need to update this entry.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Andre

Post by Andre » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:37 am

Atari Frog wrote: > Labyrinths of Kamerra

One of the parts ripped from Quest of the Space Beagle by Avalon Hill.
Second part :o) Ckeck out the backside of the game box.
sku_u

Post by sku_u » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:29 pm

deathtrappomegranate wrote:Interesting...

Music Construction Set - is by EA.

"Labyrinths of Kamerra" - is probably Quest of the Space Beagle by Avalon Hill.

Starfire Warrior - might be Adventure International (can anyone confirm this?)

Klystron Raider - the year and author are known (1982)(H. Lentchner)

Apollo 11 - I know that Mastertronic released a game with this title for the Sinclair Spectrum, but I'm not sure if this is the same game.

Too late for more now...

BTW If you get a chance, can you confirm that the games work? They might have info about the companies in the title screens.

Certainly interesting!
I'm assuming they do since they came from someone who knows a great deal about the 8 bit Atari computers and he was doing this as a favor to me. I'm going to pop some of the disks in later this week when I get a chance.
yeahgofigure

Post by yeahgofigure » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:30 am

sku_u wrote:Starfire Warrior - might be Adventure International (can anyone confirm this?)
I actually created Starfire Warrior as a kid @ 15 years old. So glad to find it on this site. Thought it was consigned to oblivion. Had signed up with Datasoft to publish it but nothing seemed to happen there. I recall driving by their Chatsworth CA HQ a year or so later and was gone so...

It also had a sister version called Hellcat Warrior which nobody would publish as it was too similar to Fantom's Five on the Apple II, who's publisher was lawsuit happy. Hope that's found somewhere.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:50 am

Hi,

That's a great story, we'd love to add that bit of trivia on the program page if this is OK with you.

Do you mind giving us your name so we can have proper credits for the game? Basically, you just released the program in the wild yourself? Did you write anything else on the Atari?

Thanks for dropping by!

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
yeahgofigure

Post by yeahgofigure » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:02 am

Sure that would be great. Actually I see the correct profile for myself here so if could change would be great.

I released those basic games to a user group. Never really released Starfire Warrior, luckily it got out there somehow. Too bad my original Hellcat Warrior is nowhere to be found, or perhaps you have resources? Also made a rather decent Missile Command variant called Missile Attack in basic (see a pattern?), but can't find it either.

I was an arcade freak and one day saw Star Raiders so parents got me an Atari 800 for xmas. Smart move. Got into making games, programming, and years later circled back to make some Java web games that eventually became the monster that ArcadeTown.com is now.

Cool related story here, Games you designed as a kid/teen on IndieGamer.com.