Adventure Writer

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

Andre

Adventure Writer

Post by Andre » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:34 am

Hi,

I am wondering if there were games released commercially (apart from L'Enigme du Triangle by Atari France) that were written with the Adventure Writer?

André
John E.

Post by John E. » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:58 pm

I don't believe there were any commercial releases of games created with Adventure Writer (except the one you mentioned and I've never heard of that).

The Spectrum version of Adventure Writer was called The Quill and that certainly had quite a few commercial releases. It would have been SO simple to create Atari 8-bit versions of these games because both programs use the same 'language'. In fact when I wrote my first adventure with Adventure Writer I used a friend's Quill instructions. I believe the only difference between the two was the Atari version had an extra command (PLACE obj# loc#).

Though, saying it would have been easy to create Atari versions isn't exactly true as the Spectrum had more free memory than the Atari version (due to DOS). Some adventures just wouldn't have fit in the memory available.

Actually, considering how easy it is to use I'm really surprised there isn't more adventures created with it. If half the adventures written in BASIC had been done with Adventure Writer I probably would have played them more. As it is, adventures in BASIC are generally so slow they get boring very quick.
deathtrappomegranate

Post by deathtrappomegranate » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:00 pm

I remember using The Quill a lot back then. Sadly (or more likely not!) none of my efforts have been preserved.