Jawbreaker

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

Atari Frog

Jawbreaker

Post by Atari Frog » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:12 am

Hi,

Could anyone confirm the number of games using the Jawbreaker name? I counted:
- the original version with the Pac-Man-style maze
- the rewritten version after Atari sued Sierra
- another version with yet another maze
- Jawbreaker II (similar to the VCS game)
- Jawbreaker Construction Set (was this ever for sale?).

Is this correct? I'm not sure about the third one...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Callipygous

Post by Callipygous » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:50 am

I don't know what came out on disk or cassette, but I have a Jawbreaker II cart. It is the 2600 version ported by "Chuckles" (Charles Bueche). The confusion comes from the fact that the red cart label says "Jawbreaker" while the box and instructions correctly say JB II. There is also a black label cart by Doug Whitaker. IIRC, Nir Dary has one. That one does say JB II on the label, I believe. Undoubtedly, it was a post lawsuit version with different graphics.

Nir Dary, are you there?
FastRobPlus

Post by FastRobPlus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:37 pm

I have no insight on special versions or prototypes of Jawbreaker aside from what's in the book "Hackers".
I do have a (semi) interesting story. When I was really young, my father was a Boeing engineer and he took me to the Boeing tech fair, which was a weekend event where employees showed off thier tech-related hobbies and projects.
There were a lot of Apple II and a few Atari 800 computers there. This would have been 1981 or 82. One of the guys was showing a near complete perfect conversion of Pac-Man he claimed to be working on. Other Atari/Apple programmers aked him specific questions about it, but he didn't come across as knoledgable about how it worked.
I've wondered ever since if this was the famous John Harris version that leaked and spread everywhere and maybe this guy was just trying to nab attention.
PingvinBlueJeans

Post by PingvinBlueJeans » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:33 am

Callipygous wrote:There is also a black label cart by Doug Whitaker. IIRC, Nir Dary has one. That one does say JB II on the label, I believe. Undoubtedly, it was a post lawsuit version with different graphics.
The black label cart is the C64 version of Jawbreaker II by Doug Whittaker. If you have an Atari version with that label, it's a mistake.