Colours in Barnstorm

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

Kr0tki

Colours in Barnstorm

Post by Kr0tki » Thu May 07, 2009 9:38 am

I've noticed the mention of problems with emulator's palette on the page for the Barnstorm game. The solution is fairly simple - for screenshots you have to use the Atari800 emulator, which since version 2.1.0 more accurately emulates colours.

As you may or may not know, 8 bit Ataris in PAL system produce different colours than NTSC machines. Most palettes for the Atari800Win emulator that are available on the Net, are (better or worse) renditions of the PAL colours. Since Barnstorm is a program from NTSC land, emulating it using PAL palette will show incorrect results (f.e. green sky). Moreso - since PAL palette was used for all screenshots at Atarimania, that means all - and I mean ALL - screenshots of 8-bit NTSC games in your database have wrong colours...

Fortunately, the Atari800 emulator handles palette differences correctly since version 2.1.0. Switching between NTSC/PAL mode in the emulator automatically changes the palettes. While the emulator's built-in palettes are still not perfect (an attempt to make them better is in progress here), it is at least achievable to have blue sky in Barnstorm.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 pm

You're right about the screenshots for NTSC games: they're not necessarily correct. Thanks for suggesting Atari800 2.1.0, I'll try that!

Your help is appreciated :)

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com