Bug or bad dump regarding Buckaroo Banzai?

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

advfan

Bug or bad dump regarding Buckaroo Banzai?

Post by advfan » Sun May 09, 2004 2:11 pm

Hi,
I don't know if this is a bug that existed in the original release, since I never owned that one, or if it is the result of a bad dump. It has happened in the version that the now defunct homesoft atari page had, and in the one that was dumped yesterday.
Don't keep reading if you like adventures and don't want parts to be spoiled:

START OF SPOILER
After powering up and entering the car, and after entering the mountain, a flickering somewhat transparent vertical line about 1-2 inch wide that covers the whole screen appears from that moment on until the end of the game. It appears also in screens that were OK before.
END OF SPOILER

Since the program asks you to change disks only at the beginning, I don't think it has to to with disk changes. Anyone that played the original remembers if that glitch did happen.

Btw, the homesoft mindshadow version also had some strange things happening at the end of the game, although this time involving the text descriptions, not the graphics. I will try to check Atarimania's version too.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sun May 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about these two issues. I admit I can't remember where the two adventure games come from so they may be the same.

According to Antic, there is a bug in Mindshadow. Here is the original text taken from the review (warning: possible spoiler): "There is also a serious bug that should have been eliminated before this game was turned loose. After anchoring the pirate ship, you will be prompted to turn the disk over. Go ahead and you will see the Queen's Navy. But be sure and flip the disk again before moving (although you are not prompted to) or you will crash the game and have to re-boot. It took two disks from Activision before I realized this was not just a fluke." Is this what you are referring to?

I know I have the originals for both Mindshadow and Buckaroo Banzai. If they aren't write-protected, I'll try to transfer them over or compare the disks using walkthroughs.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
advfan

Post by advfan » Sun May 16, 2004 1:25 pm

Hi,
sorry for not being able to reply earlier, but I'm too busy during weekdays.
I also read about the bug in mindshadow somewhere else, but it's not the one that I experienced. The one I tell you about happens almost at the end of the game, and involves some description appearing in a location where it shouldn't and an action that can cause the death of the playing character. I will play the game again to give you an exact description of what happens.
If you want I can send you also a save state of the location in buckaroo just previous to the bug I mentioned, to see if it happens to you too or a walkthrough marking the place in question, to see if it also happens in the original game.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Sun May 16, 2004 10:47 pm

Hi,

I seem to have misplaced my copy of Buckaroo Banzai, will let you know when I find it...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com