What's the deal with Cognito?

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

Kr0tki

What's the deal with Cognito?

Post by Kr0tki » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm

I see that Kenny Daglish Soccer Manager and Draconus are listed as being produced by Cognito. Wasn't "Cognito" only a name of group of developers? I can see on Mr Bacardi's website that both games have the Zeppelin Games logo on their covers.
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:04 pm

Actually, Cognito was a Zeppelin Games label.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Kr0tki

Post by Kr0tki » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks, I get it now. I'm curious, was Cognito a label in the same way as Mastertronic Added Dimension was a label of Mastertronic? Was it to indicate higher production values?
wesmond

Re: What's the deal with Cognito?

Post by wesmond » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 pm

I know it's been 2+years since this post, but I can't bear seeing unanswered questions that I know at least a little about...!

Zeppelin's standard label was all cassettes selling at £2.99 (UK). Disks weren't available in the shops for these, (although in an AirCrew club magazine, they said if you wanted them on disk, send them a letter/cheque or something).

Cognito was indeed fully Zeppelin (both the Cognito products were Ian Copeland's, who wrote a few of the budget range) full-price - only Draconus and Kenny Daglish Soccer Manager were available in that form. I believe they sold at first for £9.95 on cassette, and £14.95 on disk, and I think were intended to represent games with a bit more investment. (You could perhaps believe that for Draconus, maybe less so with KDSM). The tapes were packaged differently too - Draconus came in a double-tape box with larger artwork, so looked different from the budget releases.

But then soon after, I believe they re-released Kenny Daglish in the single tape artwork, budget form, and I got mine for £2.99. Possibly this was because it was extremely similar to World Soccer, the Zeppelin budget release at about the same time.

I've seen Draconus on ebay for non-Atari formats in the single-tape format with the red stripey style they started out with, but I've not seen it in that form for Atari, so I don't think it got re-released in budget form?

Cheers,
Wes
Atari Frog

Re: What's the deal with Cognito?

Post by Atari Frog » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 am

I don't think Draconus got another release.

I can't remember the last time I saw KDSM on disk, ages ago I believe!

Very interesting note about disk versions being available through the club. Would be great to know if the programs actually shipped and what the packaging looked like!

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com