How to make VAPI dumps?

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

AndyR

How to make VAPI dumps?

Post by AndyR » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:19 am

I have original working media for a few titles that aren't listed in the VAPI/ATX list. How do I go about making dumps of these? I have a few Happy 810 drives, which in most cases are capable of making working copies of these games. So I assume these would be good enough to dump an ATX. Any pointers?
ijor

Re: How to make VAPI dumps?

Post by ijor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:12 pm

AndyR wrote:I have original working media for a few titles that aren't listed in the VAPI/ATX list. How do I go about making dumps of these? I have a few Happy 810 drives, which in most cases are capable of making working copies of these games. So I assume these would be good enough to dump an ATX. Any pointers?
I'm afraid there is (currently) no imaging tool for the Happy 810. The imaging tool is for 1050 enhanced drives (Happy, Duplicator or Speedy), and for the PC with a Catweasel.

It should be possible to make a version for the Happy 810, but I don't have one (never had an 810) for doing the developing and testing. And I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, the Happy 810 is not very common.

I know (from your posts in Atariage) you have technical knowledge, so this is a more elaborated technical description:

The imaging tool includes software/firmware that runs in the 6502 CPU on the drive. That is, the drive (and not just the computer) is running my own custom routines when imaging. All the 1050 enhancements are very alike, so it is easy to use (almost) the same code in all of them. However the 810 is rather different, it would require "porting" those routines.