Why some differences in Cosmi Atari and C64 games?

Your suggestions, comments, corrections and info on the database structure or games that are presented.

Moderator: Atari Frog

advfan

Why some differences in Cosmi Atari and C64 games?

Post by advfan » Fri May 07, 2004 5:45 pm

Hi all,
does anyone know why the games AZTEC CHALLENGE and CAVERNS OF KHAFKA have completely different designs on the above mentioned machines. I have seen on Ebay that the games were usually available for the two machines in the same disk/package.
Usually the difference in games for the two machines were in color or the absence of a loading screen, but gameplay and design were 100% similar.
Are there any other examples like the two above?
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri May 07, 2004 6:34 pm

Hi,

That's a very good question... I think Caverns of Khafka and Aztec Challenge appeared on the Atari first but maybe Cosmi decided to update these two titles to show C64 users they offered them something really new in terms of graphics and gameplay. Box art and packaging being available already, it may have been a way of cutting costs.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
Atari Frog

Post by Atari Frog » Fri May 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Two games that have nothing to do with the C64 versions and are clear cases of publishers fooling customers:
- Airwolf, which is simply a re-release of Blue Thunder
- Pogotron, which is just Sprong in disguise.

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com
advfan

Post by advfan » Sun May 09, 2004 1:53 pm

I thought the same thing, Atari Frog, about the games being older on the Atari, but what puzzles me the most however, is that if I'm not mistaken, Cosmi did release Aztec Challenge in an updated version for the Atari, but maintaining the same gameplay and design.
Personally, I prefer Aztec Challenge on the C64, but find the two versions of Khafka to be quite enjoyable.